48 | Ray | October 30, 1899

I have reached fifty parts. That was a cliffhanger!! Still celebrating!! This mayy get a little complicated with Ray and Race... Anyway. Enjoy! :)

Suddenly, nothing matters.

Nothing expect for the man standing not even twenty feet away from Race.

Ray.

It's been seven years.

Race stands up.

As Race and Ray take in the sight of each other, their faces go through so many expressions. Love, nostalgia, happiness, sadness at lost time--everything.

"Oh, Antonio," Ray breathes.

"Ray," Race chokes out.

Then suddenly the world speeds up.

Ray comes toward Race and Race comes closer to Ray and they meet in the middle, and start a tight embrace that encompasses all these emotions that they're feeling. 

It's like a parent and child reuniting after years of separation. 

Nothing and no one can break this bond.

"Antonio, Antonio, Antonio," Ray murmurs in Race's ear, still breathless. He puts a hand behind Race's head and holds him close, just like all those years ago. "You've grown so much. I never thought I would see you again."

"I thought you were dead," Race mumbles into Ray's shirt. He can't stop the tears from beginning to come. "We all did."

"You all thought I was dead?"

"Mhm."

"Oh, Antonio." Ray pulls him closer, if that's even possible. "I am so, so sorry for causing you all that pain all those years ago. How is everyone? How are you?"

Before Race can answer, Spot stands up. "This is sweet and everything, but you're gonna have to start explaining things really soon. Supposedly you died in a fire seven years ago. But surely that didn't actually happen."

"Yeah," Ray sighs. He and Race pull away so they're standing apart, but arms are still on each other. "It's a long story."

"We got time," Spot answers smoothly.

Race looks up at Ray. "Please, Ray. Tell us."

"Alright," Ray gives in. "Let me sit down first. It's kinda a long story. And I was not expecting to see a grown up version of Antonio today."

After everyone gets situated--Ray and Race on the sofa, Jameson and the Gambler sitting on chairs at the table, Spot sitting in a chair next to Race; Ray begins his tale.

"The fire just happened unexpectedly. No one was near enough to have been the one to have started it. It just ... happened. I remember everyone shouting, everyone shouting to get out of there. And so we all got out of the building as quickly as we could. There was a head count. One person was missing--this one young kid named Michael, who was new to the factory, just like I was. I knew I had to go back for him. I knew that someone was going to miss him. Even though everyone was telling me not to, I went back in. I found him, curled up on the ground, scared. I told him that he had to get up, and that he had to run. He didn't need to be told twice. He sprang right up and ran. And I followed him, running right alongside him. Until I wasn't. I'm glad that he made it out, though."

"We were all told that you never made it out of the building," Race says, holding on to Ray's hand. 

"Well, that's because I didn't," Ray tells him. "Well, not consciously, at least." He turns to face the Gambler (Fortunato Alam Ishmael Celesto Nephus) with a fond smile. "Would you be so kind to tell them what happens next?"