35 | Moving Forward | July 25, 1899

We have reached over 500 reads, over 75 votes, and over 100 comments for this story. Yay! :)  

But how did that happen so quickly? That's because of all of you! <3

Anyway. The strike has to go on. I kinda went way off the charts for any sort of canon in the last chapter, so here's to bring it back to some form of reality. I think. Still. Enjoy! :)

"Les. What is this?"

"I was saving it."

Sarah rolls her eyes good naturedly at her brother. Boys. She unrolls the paper wrapping covering the hot dog. She doesn't want to ask how old it is. But she wasn't expecting the paper to be a newspaper article. 

She stands up. "David! It's the article Denton wrote! Listen!" She starts reading it off. She barely gets a sentence in before David opens up the window and storms out onto the balcony, leaving Sarah and Les silent in the room.

They understand.

"I miss Jack," Les tells Sarah.

"Yeah," Sarah sighs. She looks out the now-opened window. "He does too."

She worries about David. Ever since he saw Jack in those fancy clothes, he hasn't been the same. He doesn't eat, he doesn't sleep. He barely talks. Sarah knows exactly what this is. It's heartbreak.

Clearly Jack didn't listen to her advice.

You fool. You have no clue how many lives you've ruined.

She continues to read the article. If only The Sun let them print this.

Race actually slept well last night. That doesn't happen often.

This morning he has a true sense of purpose. He thought he had lost that for good.

He and Spot meet up first thing in the morning.

Spot smiles. "Hi Race! Ready to keep on striking?"

Race grins back. "You know it."

Even though not much from the previous rally is really relevant on account of Jack being the one who led it, they still try keeping up David's ideas to stop soaking people. So they're not going to use any violence in their striking unless they are provoked.

Of course, Race and Spot don't have a true plan. But they're open to more ideas.

No one has seen any sign of David. Maybe once they come up with something, he'll bounce right back.

But make no mistake, everyone is still determined to keep striking. And they look toward their leaders to lead them forwards.

At the moment, they have newsies chanting in the streets, just like they were right up until the moment when they found out Jack became a scab. Race and Spot are standing a little further away, talking.

Race gets an idea. "What about a parade?"

Spot raises his eyebrows. "A parade?"

Race nods enthusiastically. "Tomorrow. We get every newsie. 6,000 of them! It's gonna be big, there's gonna be fireworks, and a band-"

"-Do you think we can get a band this time?"

"Only one way to find out."

"Do you think you can get the permit this time?"