16 | New Year, New Us | 9 Years Old

Hi I'm back! :)

I gotta say that I wasn't expecting this story to hit 99 views while I was away. I was just hoping for ten views total.

Now it's over 100 views! What?! I honestly had no clue how well-received this story would be, so this is great.

I ALSO wasn't expecting to see that in the moment this story is number 1 for Javid. Now both of my stories that were tagged Javid had made it to the top! How?? I really don't know. Yes, Javid is a part of the story. It hasn't gotten there yet, and it's not the main focus, but apparently it's the hottest Javid story. The funny thing is, is that I'm always more concerned about the Sprace tag, and right now my other story is 2nd/3rd in Sprace, and this one is below 20. *sigh*. Well, at least all of you are here! :)

January of 1893. Jack = 16, Louis = (almost) 15, Mush = 14 1/2, Crutchy = 13. 

Enjoy! :)

It's a new year. A fresh start. And, for a couple days, a holiday for the newsies. No working on New Year's. For them, that's enough reason to celebrate.

But they need this. They've had it rough in the past few months. Now, it's time to move forward.

...Starting first thing when they work again on Monday, that is.

In all seriousness, they have made New Year's resolutions--most of them, anyway. On almost every list, one of the top two always reads: Remember Ray, and remember to keep going. It's strange, though, going into a new year without Ray beside them. They'll just have to find a way through it. They always do. And they've invented a new little saying, at least to get them through the month: new year, new us.

"A'IGHT EVERYONE! GEDDUP! THEM PAPES AIN'T GONNA SELL THEMSELVES!"

Everyone groans.

Who said that?

Everyone is too tired to care. No matter what it would have happened, anyway. So they don't care too much about being woken up.

The one who wakes them up is Kloppman. For the past few months, not many of the newsies have been able to motivate themselves to wake up like Ray would motivate them. So, Kloppman comes in most mornings to wake them up.

Antonio, for one, would rather not wake up. He whines, rolls onto his stomach, and puts his pillow over his head. He just needs to escape reality for just a little bit longer-

"Alright, Antonio." Louis, already off his bunk, takes the pillow off of Antonio's head. "I don't like it neither. But we gotta wake up."

"I don't wanna move," Antonio grumbles into his bed, still face down.

Mush jumps down from his bunk and shoots Louis a mischievous glance, which is reciprocated.

"Sure would be a shame if we had to pry ya from the bed," Louis says innocently.

"Mm-nn." Bad idea. Definitely.

Above him, the two continue to conspire.

"Whaddaya you think, Mush?"

"Hmm, what happens if we-" he stoops right over Antonio, "tickled you outta bed?!"

That gets Antonio on high alert. He shoots up faster than a firework. "NO!"