Chapter 14

Key:

Y/N - Your Name

Your P.O.V.

"Fucking hell, that's smart," I said when Five finished telling his plan. "But, knowing me, I won't let the briefcase out of my sight, so we'll need to do some planning," said Five, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Let's get to work then," I said, scooting a little to leave room for Five to sit. We both sat down in front of the notebook, making a plan, taking down notes, and making backup plans for when the 8 stages of Paradox Psychosis would hit.

I woke up, confused as to why I was asleep in the first place. I looked at the window to see darkness. I then realized that there were two arms wrapped around me. I turned my head a little to see Five sleeping peacefully, spooning me. I blushed profusely, realizing that we were probably sleeping like this for hours. Not wanting to wake up Five, I decided to go back to sleep.

When I woke up again, I saw Five was just getting out of bed. "Morning," I said sleepily. "Morning," he replied, tying his tie. We both walked out of the room into the kitchen to see Luther getting off of the couch, covered in a sheet. "Five? Y/N?" asked Luther, pulling the sheet off of himself as Five opened the refrigerator.  Five started chugging water to keep himself hydrated. "Five what... you okay?" asked Luther when he saw Five. I leaned against the kitchen counter, my hands on the counter. "He needs to be hydrated," I replied as Five continued drinking water. "Hydrated?" questioned Luther, scratching his head a bit, making him look like a cartoon character. Nobody answered him as Five went to pick up the bottle of powder. He started putting the powder down the sleeves of his shirt. As Luther opened his mouth to ask something, I answered, "The baby powder is to help with the itching." "What itching? There's itching? What the hell is going on here," asked Luther looking at me with accusing eyes. "Hey, I didn't do anything to him, stop looking at me like that," I said, rolling my eyes. Five then proceeded to pour powder down his shorts, making me blush and look away. "You do have a plan," realized Luther, looking at the two of us. "It's nothing short of a hail mary, but since everyone is an idiot here and can't meet a simple deadline, we don't have a choice," I said, following Five out of the kitchen as he adjusted his tie again. "No choice about what," asked Luther. "I have to find myself," cut in Five, still trying to adjust his tie. He then gave up and just grabbed his jacket, pulling out a watch to check the time. "Come here," I said, going up to Five and adjusting his tie for him. 

"I just arrived in Dallas 15 minutes ago," said Five as I adjusted his tie. "Done," I said, and he smiled in thanks. "Should I be worried about you? Y/N, I asked you to make him come up with a plan, not to get himself admitted to a mental hospital," said Luther. "Luther, if you recall, I was sent to 1963 on a job by the Commission to make sure the president was assassinated," said Five while exercising. "Oh! So, wait, your old self is out there," said Luther. "Happy realization," I said sarcastically. "What, just walking around Dallas," asked Luther. "Yeah... with a briefcase that can take us back home, you idiot," I said, rolling my eyes. "Oh, my god. Five, you're a genius," said Luther, awestruck. "However, there are two significant problems with this plan. Problem number one: I am a trained assassin, arguably the most dangerous assassin in the space-time continuum. If I know me, I'm not gonna react kindly to bumping into myself. Problem number two, and this is the real fly in the ointment here: you're not supposed to exist in close proximity to yourself in the same timeline. The side effects can be disastrous," said Five, pacing around a little. "Side effects? What sort of side effects," asked Luther. "Well, according to the Commission Handbook Chapter 27, subsection 3b, the eight stages in Paradox Psychosis are...

Stage One: Denial,

Two: Itching,

Three: Extreme thirst and urination

Four: The need to tell the truth

Five: Excessive gas

Six: Acute Paranoia

Seven: Uncontrolled perspiration

Eight: ...homicidal rage," finished Five awkwardly. 

"I can't wait to ask you a bunch of truths at stage four," I said, chuckling evilly. "Don't do that," exclaimed Five quickly, making me raise an eyebrow with him. "That's suspicious but okay," I said, looking at him with confusion. "Wait, wait, wait. Go back to the homicidal rage bit? I don't know. This maybe isn't such a good idea," said Luther. "It iz what it iz, space boy... we don't have a choice," I said, looking at the man. "I don't know, he already seems a bit squirrely, if I'm being honest," said Luther, looking concerned. "Ok, I'm gonna need you to help me get through this one, all right? I... I need a spotter. Y/N already agreed to help. In case the Paradox Psychosis gets too severe, I need you to help me stay on task, all right? So, whatever happens, whatever I say, we need to get that briefcase," said Five, looking at Luther intensely. "Okay," said Luther, nodding his head. Five then walked away, grabbing my hand and taking me along with him. "Luther, come on," said Five when he realized that Luther was still standing in the same place. "Right," said Luther, and Five and I went back down the stair again.

*Time skippety skip*

We soon reached a quaint little bar, where there was a lively Irish tune playing. Five looked around suspiciously before saying, "Well, there I am." I glanced in the direction Five was looking to see a rather old man wearing a suit, a briefcase in front of him. "Why don't we just grab the briefcase and run," asked Luther, looking at Five and me in confusion. "Luther, I would never let that happen. We're trained to guard these briefcases with our lives. Plus, it's the inherent paradox where this gets tricky. I'm endangering my existence just being in the room with myself," said Five intensely. "Huh, what do you mean," asked Luther, making Five say, "Luther, try to keep up. If old me doesn't travel back to 2019 like he's supposed to, the whole thing unravels itself. I cease to exist. You got me?" "I get you," said Luther after hesitating for a moment. "So our best chance is to talk with him, to reason with him, even though he is a stubborn pain in the neck," I said, laughing at my joke. "He'll listen. Trust me, I know myself better than... better than I know myself," said Five, scratching the back of his neck. "Five, you just itched your neck. That's stage two. And don't try to deny it, cause denial is stage one," I said, looking at him pointedly. "I am fine, okay? Let's stay on task, shall we," said Five agitatedly. "Wait, maybe I should go first. Cause, you know, you'll freak him out. Bumping into his own tiny doppelganger He'll lose his shit. Just let me break the ice," said Luther, and I quirked my eyebrow and nodded in agreement. "Okay," said Five, and Luther then left. 

"And now we wait," I said, placing my head on Five's shoulder as he wrapped an arm around my waist.