Chapter 1

{EDITED}
TW:

Maddison Brooks

The music was beating through the speakers making the walls vibrate. The white walls were covered with mirrors so I could almost see myself in every direction as I moved over the floor.

"Come on Maddison!" Cameron yelled at me, his sharp voice loud over the music.

He stood and watched my every move as I danced in the middle of the floor. I didn't complain, I needed to be at the top even if the way up there would lead my body into constant pain.

The dance awards were nothing to play with. People from all around the world came to watch all the dancers that had gotten there with all possible training they could manage. I had succeeded to be there every year since I was ten years old, I'm seventeen now and I have never missed  the dance awards even if I wanted to crawl into my bed because my body was in pointless pain. Even if I broke a toe during warm up, I never missed it because of the opportunities that could follow if you got in the top fifteen.

No type of pain could stop me from doing my best when the world was watching me.

My body ached after the two hours of pushing my body to maximum and perfection even if there were many weeks of practice left before the yearly competition and my middle year in senior, my last competition with Cameron by my side.

Laying flat on the dark floor as the music stopped and Cameron showed up in front of me with his hands on his hips. His dark brown hair was done in perfection as he just looked at me for a second before reaching out his hand for me to take which I didn't take, the cold floor feeling way too comfortable at the moment.

"Come on Maddison, you need to stretch to not become stiff tomorrow." Cameron laughed out loud when I didn't make any movement to stand up from the cold floor that sank my body temperature after the heavy exercise.

"Two hours," pointing two fingers up in the air. "Have you been trying to kill me, give me a break." I panted.

I looked down on my sweaty body. My knees were filled with red marks from sliding around on the floor but it didn't bother me more than a little stinging pain that I have grown used to as long as I got something out because of the pain.

It felt like my head was spinning while I took deep breaths to slow down my pulse to normal.

Feeling how Cameron stared at me. His eyes were trying to find some flaw that needed fixing while we still had time, no matter if it was a tense muscle that needed to be stretched or if it was some weak muscle that needed to become stronger. "Are you just gonna stand there or can you bring me my bottle of water? I'm literally dying here." I joked while sitting up and dragging my body to the closest wall to lean on something.

"I stand pretty good here you know?" Cameron crossed his arms over his chest.

"Ha-Ha-Ha- hilarious!" I said sarcastically to him as he thankfully started walking against the other side of the dance studio to get my bottle of water.

Cameron has been standing as my dance instructor for a few years. Putting pressure from the second I told him what I wanted to do with dance, I wanted to win.

I'm thankful for the days he made me work until I almost passed out; like today, just for me to reach a win eventually.

"Earth back to Maddison." Cameron waving the plastic bottle in front of my face.