Chapter 35

Everyone turns to face me. 

"You have what?" Will asks.

I sigh. 

"I think I have what Jeanine wants," I say lifting the necklace from under my shirt.

"The ring," Marlene says, "Why do you have it?"

"Because I gave it to her years ago," Tobias says for me. 

Shauna starts to breathe deeply but it is a peaceful kind of breathing and now I know she's okay. Zeke wraps his arms around her and rocks her gently back and forth. 

"So what is that ring going to do? Open some magical portal to the land of unicorns?" Uriah asks.

"Uri!" Marlene scolds while friendly slapping his arm. 

"What? It's possible..." he defends. 

"No, I think it is going to open the vault," Caleb says.

"I'm sorry but there is a vault now?" Uriah asks. 

"Yeah of course the vault!" Cara exclaims like she just understood something.

"Care to share with the rest of the party? And please don't speak geek to us," Uriah says.

"When I was stil working at S.C.A.R there was a rumour among the staff that Jeanine kept something hidden in a vault that was downstairs of the laboratories. I heard that it was the key to control the government," Cara says.

"Really? I remember my parents coming home one day and talking about Jeanine with a box," Caleb says.

"Well aren't you guys a bunch of gossip girlies," Uriah says in a sassy tone while pointing his nails to them. 

"Yeah and a ring used would open the vault door," Cara says.

"Okay time out... What is this box that can control?" Christina asks.

"I don't know but when I was eavesdropping the word "divergent" kept coming up," Cara says.

"What's a divergent?" I ask. 

"It means you can't follow orders, you can't be categorised, something about your genetics," Tori says. Wow we almost forgot that she and Amar were here. Both of them were sitting off to the side. 

"How much do you know about this?" Tobias asks her.

"Enough to know that we are in Mcshizzle town if she gets her hand on that ring around her neck," she says nodding to me.

Amar walks over to me and pulls me up to face him. He stares at me intently with his hazel brown orbs. 

"Listen to me Tris, I don't care if you ditch the necklace, bury it or simple just disappear off the grid with it but Jeanine cannot find that ring," he says to me.

"This has happened before... hasn't it...." I say.

Amar lets go of me and paces the cell. 

"It has, hasn't it Amar," I say more confident this time. 

"Yes okay? Yes it has happened," Amar says frustratedly. 

Tori stands up and goes to calm Amar down.

"This was before you were born. I remember that Evelyn was pregnant with Four. Jeanine had a ring commissioned to open the vault door. It contained a box, a box that would be opened by a strong divergent. No one knows what is in that box, but that was the real reason that S.C.A.R was shut down. My brother Georgie was a test subject. One day he got summoned to her office and later that day I was told he died in an accident involving chemicals," Tori says.