Chapter 20

Evelyn and I walk into the training room. Uriah, Lynn, Christina, Will, Marlene and Al stand on one side while Tobias, Zeke, Shauna, Cara, Caleb, Tori and Amar stand on the other. Resting at Amar's legs is a whiteboard covered with a white cloth.

It seems so segregated at the moment. I walk over to Christina while Evelyn goes and talks to Four.

"Ready to start training? What did Evelyn want with you?" Christina asks.

"Nothing she just wanted to get to know me better that's all," I say hopefully without giving anything away. Christina is like a human lie detector.

"Whatever you say Tris, nice necklace by the way," she says. 

I blush and thank her.

"Okay listen up," Amar says, his voice booming off the walls of the training room, "Here in Allegiant we have individual instructors called Supervising Officers or SOs (borrowed from Agents of Shield), it is one on one training and you already have been assigned to your supervisor. No siblings will be paired together because it is just not effective that way, this board has the pairings."

Tori pulls the cloth off the board and the pairs are revealed:

Uriah & Amar

Marlene & Shauna

Lynn & Zeke

Christina & Tori

Will & Caleb

Al & Cara

Tris & Four 

Christina squeals and points to my name on the board. She then gives me a bone crushing hug while everyone else laughs.

"Most important part of any training is team work and knowing your teammates. I was taughted long ago that knowing was half the battle. So training today will be more of an interrogation kind of style. You the initiates or cadets or whatever you want to call yourselves will be questioning your SOs on anything you wish and your SOs will do the same," Evelyn instructs, "It's about 11am, you have until we meet in the dining hall for dinner. Do not take this lightly."

"Off you go dismissed," Amar says.

Everyone breaks off into their pairs and exits the training room heading off to all different spots of the compound. Tobias beckons for me to follow him. 

He takes me out of the training room and leads me down a series of corridors to another training place I have never seen before. It made me question how long I had actually been at the FBI. This training room was nowhere near as big as the other one. Kind of had a vintage style to it. 

There were two punching bags on my left and a boxing ring in the middle. Over on my right were targets that you could shoot guns and throw knives at. At the very end of the room was a ladder that led up to an attic looking area. It was where Tobias seemed to want to go because he was already heading in that direction. 

I follow him and climb up the ladder. When we reach the top which wasn't too far off the ground, it was nicely made up. There were rugs, chairs, couches, hammocks strung from the support beams, a fridge in the corner, this place was like a home away from home. I can't even imagine how they got some of the items up here. 

I stare at him in awe. 

"Yeah this was a place that Zeke, Shauna and I used to always hang out. We kind of personalised it but I guess we haven't come here as much as we would have hoped," he says.

"It's a great place, nice and comfortable. So what are we supposed to be doing? 20 questions?" I ask.

"It's something like that, believe me everyone has to do it. My SO was Amar, he's like a wise man mixed with a crazy uncle. Tradition has it that the initiate starts with the first question," he says looking at me expectantly.

I remembered my talk with Evelyn earlier today, I walk over to the couch where Tobias is sitting and I pull the necklace out from under my shirt.

"Your mum told me the sort of back story behind this, I wanted to know why you gave it to me because I don't remember it. She said it was I think her engagement ring from Marcus and my dad helped pick it and she gave it to you," I say.

Tobias looks nostalgic when he holds the ring.

"My mum gave this to me when I was 12, so it was a year before I met you. She said to me that she was giving it to me becaus it was to remind me that my father was not always bad and that he did make a promise before which he failed to keep. I remember she said to give it to a girl who was capable of those promises that he made, someone I could trust and love. When I met you, I think it was fair to say that we hated each other's guts but my perception of you changed on the year of your 12th birthday," he says. 

This was what I wanted. I wanted to know the me before I died.

"I started to think you were just beautiful, intelligent, selfless, honest, kind and brave and I gave this to you on your birthday when we started dating."

"Wait we dated?" I ask.

"Yes," he replies softly.

"What happened?" I ask, afraid to know the answer.

At this point the ring necklace hung around my neck and Tobais' hands were holding mine.

"Well you got put undercover and that's when you got shot and died. I was heartbroken when I heard then I was shattered when your memory got replaced. That was the day I earn't my nickname because I took out four of Marcus's guys in four seconds. I decided to distance myself from you after that but I had no idea that you kept this ring," he says.

My eyes start welling up with tears.

"I don't understand why you would just push me away then just when we were about to go to the runway you pretty much made me see a different side of you," I say, my voice wobbling.

"Because I was undercover trying to get intel on Marcus he ordered me to shoot you at Miss United states but I didn't he was going to get revenge. He even gave me a heads up and I quote 'It will be the last time that you see your girl alive' of course I had to protect you. Can't you see that I feel so guilty for everything that has happened?" he asks.

I look at him and he is on the verge of crying. I lean in and smash my lips against him. I guess it was my way of blocking out everything that has happened between us. He kisses me back roughly, his hands travelling all over my body. We are supposed to be doing interrogation which ended up being a make out session on the couch. 

When we finally break for air Tobias starts speaking again.

"Tris the promise was that we would always protect each other and that I will love you until the end of time and that even if we break up and some other guy steals you I will never stop trying to win you back to me. My heart is only for you, there has never been another girl," he says.

"I love you," I say.

For the rest of the time we talk about hobbies, likes and dislikes and he even shows me some really cool disarming techniques he has learn't over the years. He taught me to strengthen my core and we ended up wrestling a lot. It involved a lot of Tobias winning my straddling me and me having to kiss him so he would get off me.

During all that time I was only thinking of how it was amazing that I got to spend my time with him. The stuff he said about me was the most romantic thing anyone has said. Maybe I do have a future with him. Maybe it will be one that I will enjoy.

I guess now I am thankful of everything that has happened. It strengthened the both of us, made us more resiliant and made us realise that while everything else is changing we still know that we have each other. 

___________________________________________________________________________________

2 chapters in 1 night! 

Go Megs!!! That's my name by the way. Megan my username here is my middle name because Yolo. I hate my middle name but I wanted to embrace it for a change ;) 

What's your name?

Keep smiling because you read, commented and voted :D