[Shot Thirty-Nine] ♣ Promise

Chapter Thirty Nine

Promise
____ _

Adrien and Marinette watch Cathy sleep in her bed as they glance at each other with suspicion and worry.  Due to panicking earlier at Cathy's crying, Ladybug forgot her time running out and change back in her form in front of Adrien.

Since Marinette knows Chat Noir's identity through his confession to Cathy, Chat Noir also thought of transforming back to make it fair.

Adrien carried Cathy back to the hotel with Marinette holding the broken Memory Card following in tow and now they are seating beside each other as they find words while waiting for the blonde girl to wake up.

"So..."

"Uhh..."

The two awkwardly started which also ended more awkward.

"Y-you first" Adrien force a smile

"N-no.. y-you should go first" Marinette said waving her hand furiously.  Adrien sighed and offered a soothing smile trying not to make things more awkward, and Marinette nodded.

"I...uh... I'm sorry for destroying the memory card"

"It's fine... I guess, we wouldn't have pulled her back from the akuma if you didn't destroy it"

And there was silence again.

Adrien and Marinette understand the severity of the situation. They both knew of each other's identity and that's a great taboo as a hero who works alongside each other. It came to mind that, maybe this was needed.

Because how could they not feel down? Even though they're still alive, and kicking, it would still be different without their other accomplice, Ember.

"The Phoenix is really gone, huh?" Adrien mumbled and Marinette nodded feeling down

"Yeah"

And the two have some to understanding that this should always be keep a secret. A respect for Cathy, the former master of the Miraculous of the Blazing Phoenix and of course a sign of promise to the lost kwami.

***

Cathy, always thought that after her mission, it would be like a walk in the park. She would go back and reunite with her little sister.

But she guess she was wrong, she was convinced with her plans that it never came to her that she would love this place.

That she would lose Pheoez.

One thing that was hard for her was that, she didn't got to understanding the real meaning of Emilie, as why she needed to protect this world or Adrien.

Is it from the Akuma? Or from Gabriel Agreste—her husband instead?

And she was clueless... There was no Pheoez to guide her, to make a sarcastic remarks, to tease her and there was no one to eat the sweets she bake.

That's why, when she opened her eyes that night, despite the looming presence beside her, she cried as reality came crashing down to her, weighing every part of her heart.

She might be a joyful naive kid, but she's also a human who has feelings.

She can also make a sad face, despite the smiling facade.

Besides, those who smiles the most are the ones who suffer inside and now she finally understand the meaning of that quote.

Adrien hug her, soothing her with his hand on her hair. She didn't ask about what happened, and no words are needed to say, that Cathy needed Adrien, someone who can understand her.