Lethal Misfits (27) [ Final Chapter ]

Start from the beginning

''Hello'' We were saved thanks to that interruption. Tony stood there, holding a bouquet in his hand and giving us an uncertain look.

''Hi Tony, is that for Uncle Steve?'' Iris greeted him. He looked down,

''Um er yeah, b-but I don't know if I should.''

She put a hand on his shoulder, ''Please stop blaming yourself already. I told Uncle that you were a great help. In fact we managed to get things right because of you. He also wants to thank you.''

''R-really?''

Iris nodded, ''yeah, now go on.''

After he left everybody walked back to the car and I joined Iris, ''what will happen to him now? Did you guys talk about that.''

''He doesn't want to live with us, he's too guilty,'' She replied gravely, ''I tried to talk to him but he says he's gonna live at the campus for now.''

''Are you okay with that?'' I asked,

''I am not honestly. After what happened, I don't wanna leave him alone but I can understand. It must be a burden for him you know? And I think that the best way is not let him do what he wants. I'm sure he'll stay away fro a while but eventually come back.'' I was surprised by her response. She had changed so much over the past few weeks. The negative and pessimistic person was gone and was replaced by someone who had begun to open up their heart a little.

''We're gonna move the last of our stuff from the warehouse, you can come if you want. Probably the week after next, since we're busy with other things right now.'' I told her casually.

''I'll come'' she replied earnestly and stared at me, I didn't know what she was thinking at that moment, ''see you around.'' She backed away and waved at us before going towards her own car.

''Law, are you gonna get in or do you plan to camp in this parking lot?'' Calla snapped, I hadn't realized I was staring into space where she had been standing a minute before.

*                                             *                                                      *                                                     *

Iris

''Wow, such a shady place.'' Marian murmured, staring at the warehouse in daze. Maybe it was a bad idea to bring her here but she had insisted she wanted to see it herself. I wasn't sure if she was disappointed that it wasn't super secret under ground laboratory they show in action movies.

''Really? It's not that shady.''

''It looks like those haunted buildings in the middle of nowhere that they show in American horror shows.'' She observed,

''Well whatever, you sit here and write the inspection and I'll go and get my stuff.'' Getting my things wasn't the only reason I had came here. This was the last time Johnny and everyone would be here together and I just wanted to be a part of that. I felt sad that they were leaving this place, how would everyone be feeling then?

I never really apologized to them. Somewhat I felt responsible for this, even if the decision was for the good.

It felt surreal that things changed so drastically, weeks ago I would never had imagined that it will turn out like this. We finally getting back on track, Drew's operation being a success, James gone from our lives - it was a miracle.

''Poppet,'' Marian grabbed my sleeve before I could get out of the car, ''I wanna say something important.''

''Yeah? I'm listening.''