Lethal Misfits (25)

Start from the beginning

''Things will get right, eventually.'' Though I wasn't sure exactly when this time would come.

* * * *

I had never liked graveyards, I was sure nobody did. I remember once when I was a kid, we came at this same place to bury my great aunt Betty. I had never known Betty, in fact I wasn't even sure what she looked like, but I still felt a strange wave of glumness hanging over my head, like someone had drained all happiness from my life.

I stared at the gravestones with my parents names on them, my eyes filled with tears. It always took a lot of courage to come here and see them but if I didn't come, I would start feeling restless - as if someone had stolen something from me.

Stolen eh? That was a correct word to describe my life, things were always falling apart, and I was always being robbed from the things I loved. A life lived in fear and guilt; I wished I had nothing to lose; I wouldn't have to worry about anything then.

I bent down and touched the stone where mom's name was written, running my hands over the cool stone and wiping away the thin layer of dust. I put down the flowers I had brought on the graves, Iris - the flower they loved the most.

''Iris'' I whirled around, surprised from the sound of the voice. A person stood behind me, drenched in rain, their clothes messed up and hair undone. I stood up straighter, balancing my umbrella.

''Tony?''

Out of all the people I had expected to be here, James son was the last of them. For a moment we simply stared at each other, after I recovered from the shock of Tony being here I stepped back instinctively. Why was Tony here? How did he find me? Wait, was he even looking for me? Did James send him here to kill me off?

I looked around, remembering the rules Johnny had drilled into me - assess the situation calmly, do not panic. That's what told me once. There were three gates of the cemetery, one was on my left, another behind Tony and third was always locked. What was my best option? I could easily fight with him but without knowing if he carried a weapon or not, it was futile. Was running away okay?

''Iris, please don't be afraid, I am not here to hurt you!'' he called as I stepped further back. There was no way I would trust Tony, he had always have a rocky relationship with me and we hated each others guts. Did he really think I would react according to the way he wanted? And what was up with that polite tone? Last time I checked 'politeness' was a word that Tony wasn't familiar with.

''Why are you here then?'' I asked, coming straight to the point.

''I-I came...can we talk without you standing a bit closer? You can check my pockets if you want, I am not carrying anything.'' He attempted again. I narrowed my eyes, what did he want with me if he wasn't here to attack?

''Okay, take off that coat of yours.'' He shot me an incredulous look and I did felt a bit stupid for making him do that. But Tony was James son and given our past history, I had to be cautious. He threw his coat on the wet grass and held up his hands in surrender,

''Am I off hook now?'' he asked uncertainly.

''Just tell me why you're here quickly.''

Suddenly a painful look crossed his face, once more I was surprised by such sensitivity - it didn't suit him at all. Actually everything about him right then was odd and suspicious and I reminded myself not to let my guard down.

''You know everything don't you? About dad?'' I gritted my teeth. Was he here to testify everything? Maybe God had given me an opportunity to save my pride and talk to Tony instead of James.