Chapter 32

We arrived in Os Alta a few days later, the journey difficult, Aleksander cool as steel. I used to wonder how people could follow a man who had done so much evil, put so much danger in the world. But Aleksander was a natural leader, and everything the did felt so much more justifiable in his presence. He made our army stronger, boosting morale even after hours of difficult walks. Our men lit up when they saw him—no, when they saw us.

He really did milk the way we contrasted each other. "Summon light above you, behind you, in front of you. I want you to be brighter than the sun."

"I already am," I had teased with a little smile. Before I could turn around, Aleksander leaned down and pressed his lips against mine.

I didn't know if I'd heard him right, but I could have sworn he whispered against my lips, "I know."

He had us walk through the crowds while shadows trailed him and light glowed behind me. My white hair against his black. Our hands meeting, my ring hitting the light. We matched each other well.

I was most excited to see Genya again. Although, a close second was our big bed. While the tents and manors we stayed in were luxurious, I missed sleeping in our room, in our home. And I already knew things had been so much different from when we left Os Alta to now. I almost couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that my Aleksander was the same man who had committed those atrocities during the war.

Maybe because he wasn't.

"Saints, I never thought I'd want to see this ugly building so badly." I looked out the window, and Aleksander chuckled from behind me, lifting his gaze to the Grand Palace in the distance.

"I think it's long overdue for a renovation." He smiled, almost boyishly, and my cheeks warmed.

"Don't look at me, I'm not good at design."

He was still smiling when he said, "I know. But I am."

What was he not good at? The carriage rolled to a stop in front of the Grand Palace, and I was surprised to see everyone waiting there. All the Grisha soldiers, including students from the Little Palace stood on the right, and diplomats and bureaucrats stood on the left.

Aleksander stepped out first, then extended his hand for me to take. "Don't smile this time," he said, and he didn't have to tell me twice. In the villages, we wanted the people's support, which meant smiling and shaking hands and holding babies. But we were surrounded by sharks now, and we needed to act like the royalty we were.

"Only let the Grisha see your ring."

He could have given me these instructions the entire carriage ride here, but he was choosing now, as we stepped into the sun at the front of the Grand Palace.

"How am I supposed to do that?" I muttered, already working to the bend the light and shield myself from Aleksander's gaze.

His lips quirked the tiniest bit when he looked down at my hand and saw the way I was moving the light. Aleksander began talking to the Grisha for updates first. He had asked me to check in with the children—he finally admitted that they liked me more than him—but something about this situation was striking me the wrong way. I spoke to the children for only a few seconds before turning to the diplomats. In seconds, their frustration was clear.

I was on better terms with the minister of education, and I went to him. "Has... something happened?"

He looked at Aleksander—he was still talking to the Grisha—for a moment before looking back. "Simply tensions between the First and Second Army. Nothing to worry about."