Chapter 23

8 days since the students were questioned.
Heather Chandlers POV.
I've been staying with Veronica on their parents couch until my dad leaves for his trip. It's not a bed but I really want to respect her parents wishes and not sleep in Veronica's room...

"Good morning, Heather!" Bennie, Veronica's brother comes downstairs with a suitcase...dragging it down the stairs...waking up the entire house.

"What the actual FRICK was that? And why?"

Who do you think.

"Goodbye Bennie!" Her mom shouts from their bedroom.

Good morning, Bennie. I say.

I put my attention back towards the tv that had been on. The signal is interrupted.

"Breaking news this morning, fellow Sherwood Ohio resident, Jason Dean, is being sentenced 18 years to life in prison starting today for multiple charges. Attempting to kill fellow classmates and ex girlfriend. His father, known as, big bud Dean, motto: if it's in your way I'll make your day!, is being sentenced life in prison for destruction of property."

Veronica are you seeing this? I ask.

"Yeah. Holy shit. Finally getting what they deserve. Hey....I'm gonna talk to my mom about it first...but Bennie is going back to university for the next few years....maybe we could turn his room into YOUR room....you can stay with us until your mom gets back from that work trip in Europe!"

Lucky her in london. I wanted to go ever since I was 5.  But sure! I say excitedly!

"That's fine. As long as we don't have to have to build anything." Her mom calls out. She must've heard us.

Veronica looks at me with a satisfied look on her face. It also says "let's go to the store." So I get my keys.

A few weeks later
Veronica's POV.
We're trying to build the new bed frame for heathers new room and we finally got it all put together. It's only a twin bed so there's no way I could possibly sleep here with her. We weren't gonna buy a new mattress. She lays down and I sit next to her.

"I'm exhausted." She yawns.

Me too. I sit and fluff with her hair. Soon enough, she falls asleep. I let her. I go out and quietly close her door. I get in my bed and take a quick nap.

Heather Chandlers POV.
I wake up In my bed and grab a book I've been reading. I hear a gentle knock.

It's open.

"Hey, neighbor." Veronica jokes and then looks at my lap.

What?

"YOURE READING?" she asks excitedly.

Yeah yeah. Whatever. Hey, isn't the prom coming up? I ask. Her eyes widen and a light blush washes over her face.

"Yeah? Why?"

Here. I hand her two tickets I had previously purchased.

"Why two?"

One for you one for me? Why else?

"You wanna go to prom? I thought you didn't believe in the cliche hotel room, limo, champagne thing?" She says surprised.

With you, I'd go anywhere. I say softly.

"You get me so hot. You better stop it." Veronica giggles.

Get over here. I say as I playfully pull her down to me, leaving kisses along her neck and then placing one on her lips. I sigh.

I never saw myself being where I am now. I say.

"Oh really? So I really WAS a greasy nobody before we got together then?" She teases.

I-

"WOW! THE FACT THAT YOU STUTTERED!" She laughs. I burst out into laughter.

I never SAID that.

"Ah yes but you THOUGHT it." She corrects me.

Yeaaaaah. I admit.

"Rude." She laughs again.

I know. So, do you want a hotel room at prom? Or do you think that would be suspicious? I ask.

"Only if it's the best room." She jokes.

Ah yes but I've already got the best room. There's a view of the lake and best room service in the city. All for you and I. I explain.

And the best part. I whisper.

"What?"

No parents. You can make as much noise as you want. I say seductively. I feel her go loose in my arms. She rolls around to face me and I kiss her. We just kiss like that for a while. Until her dad comes in.

"So we're ordering a pizza. What do you guys want on it?" I pull away from her lips quickly. She keeps kissing me. Even though her dad is standing there.

"Pepperoni?" She asks.

Fine by me.

"Cool. Have fun. Be smart. I'll be in the other room."

Cool? I pull away.

Are we going to prom?

"Yes. Of course we are." She smiles into the kiss. School has been so much easier and so has being more open about being gay. Since JD was locked up.

A few weeks pass.
The day of prom.

I crashed on the couch again. I wake up to another emergency broadcast.

"Two inmates from Ohio's highest security prison have escaped. Their identity's are unknown as of now but will be released soon. They are doing a check right now."

I have to wake up Veronica.