Chapter 6

4 months later (April)
Veronica's POV
Hey mom? Can Heather come over? I ask.

"Which Heather?" She asks.

Chandler. I respond.

"Yeah sure." She replies.

I walk back over to my window and open it.

You're gonna get sick. I giggle and watch as Heather quickly and flawlessly maneuvers her way up to my window. She has her back pack.

Why the bag? I ask.

"My mom told the maid to make sure I didn't leave the house until I got my grades up unless it was to go to a tutor." She explains.

So you lied and said I was gonna tutor you? I ask with a smirk.

"Not exactly! you're actually going to do it!" She exclaims.

Heather, are you actually going to let me quiz you and help you study? Or 5 minutes of half assed reading and 2 hours of making out? I ask sarcastically.

"Probably the second one." She admits.

Ugh. Heatherrrrr. I've never even seen you go to class. I think you literally show up for attendance and then leave. I groan as I get my books out to help her.

"Just try. Please." She begs.

Okay. Sit down. I grab a chair and pull it up next to my desk. She sits down.

Okay. Let's see your bag. I grab her bag and take out the schedule and see that she's taking most of the classes that I am. Instead of journalism, she's taking intro to law. It's the junior class that only 6 people take because nobody can pass.

Hey Heather? What do you want to do after high school? I ask out of curiosity.

"I don't know. Nothing fits me. I can't find anything I care about. I'm going nowhere." She chuckles.

About an hour into "studying",Heather lays her head on the desk and groans.

"Fuck school. Fuck reading. Fuck studying. Fuck having a future. I'll just drop out." She mumbles.

Come on. One more question. I encourage her. English class. You did the reading right? I ask.

"Yeah. I think. Maybe." She replies.

What consequence does Jean Valjean face and for WHAT crime? I ask.

"Uhh didn't he like strangle some hoe and get life in prison? WAIT no it was a child NO it was some woman. SHIT." She gets frustrated.

For somebody who's seen Les Mis more times than you can count on two hands, you certainly don't do the reading. I tease.

"Live theatre is different from reading. WAIT- HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT?" she asks.

Relax. If you don't want people to know, hide the playbills better. I say. I'll be honest, she didn't strike me as the musical theatre type. Just then, my phone rings.

Hello?

"Greetings and salutations." I hear a creepy voice respond. I wave Heather over and she listens.

"Don't speak. Just listen."

Ok.

"You are going to come over. Not Heather. You. You are going to do as I say. You are going to leave the moment you hang up and you will come alone. Or I will kill your little whore of a girlfriend. Do you understand?" He asks.

We say nothing.

"DO YOU. UNDERSTAND?"

Yes. I say hanging up the phone.

"You're not going without me." She says.

I have no choice. He'll kill you. I say.

"Let me drive you. I'll stay in the car." She begs.

Fine. Let's go.

Later
Heather stays in the car as I go inside and up to his room.

Speak. Just don't hurt her. I say.

"Here's what's going to happen." He starts.

"You are going to finish the job with Kurt kelly."

"You're either going to stop hanging out with the Heathers, or kill them." Every order he gives, he gets closer to me. Soon, I can't back up any further.

"Assuming you won't kill them, you are going to call that whore that you're seeing, and tell her that you are breaking up with her."

"Finally, you are going to do as I wish. Starting now." He says as he tries to kiss me. I knee him in the stomach. he backs up, pulls a knife out and laughs before charging at me. He stops just before reaching me and his eyes widen. I watch as he struggles to get air and then falls to the ground.

I look up and see Heather standing there. She looks mortified. I then see the knife. Her hands shake and she drops the knife. His blood is all over her hands and splattered on her neck and face. She turns almost white and starts sweating.

H-heather? Are you okay? I ask. I get no response. She passes out.

I step over JDs body.

Oh my god. Okay. Um. SHIT. god damn it. Ok. I say to myself as I sit down and pull Heather into my arms. Come here. I say as I push the strand of hair out of her face.

Heather wake up. Baby come on you gotta get up. I gently tap her face with my palms a few times. Her eyes flick open and she starts breathing heavily.

Breathe. You need to breathe. Baby, breathe. I say.

"I just killed him. I just fucking killed him. I'm a murderer. I'm going to go to jail. Holy fuck. Shit. What- how. FUCK. What do i do? What do I fucking do?" She starts freaking out I had never seen her this scared before.

Relax. I'll handle this. I say as I get up and grab a sheet of paper and a pen.

I look at his plans to kill Heather as a refresher for his handwriting and I write a dark yet realistic note.

"Veronica, what are you doing?" She asks.

I turn around and hand her the sheet of paper. She reads it and then looks at me again.

"D-did you do it for Ram too?" She asks.

I had no choice. He would have killed me. I reply honestly.

I swore I'd never have to do this again. But if it means you stay out of trouble...it's worth it. I say. We hear sirens and decide to run.

We go back to her house and she takes a shower. Poor thing was just trying to protect me. She probably wants to flea the country. She's so scared.