Chapter-19: Dance With The Devil

"What Is This, That Stands Before Me, Figure In Black, Which Points At Me,"

Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath

Fox's blood turned to ice at the sight before him. The head of the beast was the goat-head he had seen in the Cornerian sewers and on those tanks on Titania. The rest of it was dark-grey skin, clawed hands and feet, and a pair of bat-like wings.

"Who or what are you?"

"I AM BAPHOMET, LORD OF THE DEMONS."

"Well I guess it's just you and me Baph."

"ON THE CONTRARY, MORTAL."

With that, Baphomet threw up his hands. Small cubes flew out and turned into Cacodemons and Lost Souls. Fox fought them off and dodged another lightning bolt from the Demon Lord. However, he was hit by a fireball, putting his shields into dangerous territory.

"YOU ARE FINISHED, MCCLOUD."

Fox responded by firing his lasers at Baphomet, which had no effect.

"GIVE UP MORTAL! YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT ME!"

"I never give up!" retorted Fox.

Baphomet kept throwing Demons at him and Fox kept destroying them. Then he started to notice something about Baphomet, the inverted pentagram on his head was glowing orange. He fired at it and heard a scream of pain from the Demon Lord. Baphomet disappeared in a crimson light, Fox looked all over for him and saw the shadow of a hand over his ship. He dodged in the nick of time. He u-turned and faced a very angry Demon Lord. Baphomet kept throwing fireballs, lightning, and Demons at Fox. When those failed, he simply used his hands to swat at the Arwing and flapped his wings to keep him at bay. The Cornerian couldn't get in range for lasers.

"Only one thing I can think of. Hope it works."

He fired a nova bomb that struck Baphomet square in the head. The Demon Lord recoiled, but remained standing. Holes appeared in his body and light inexplicably came out of them, something Fox had seen in many of Andross' bio-weapons.

"You lose Baphomet."

"WRONG MORTAL! I WILL RISE AGAIN!"

Baphomet exploded in a shower of blood and bones before Fox could reply. The darkness faded and the sky resumed it's red colour. Fox flew back to where Kronos and Krystal were. He hopped out and ran into the arms of his girlfriend, with whom he shared a kiss. The Elite patted him on the back.

"You did well Fox."

Just then, something dawned on the vulpine.

"Kronos, what do you plan on doing now?"

"To tell you the truth, I haven't really thought about it."

"Well I think we'd all appreciate you sticking around. Baph did say he'd be back."

"Who?"

"Baphomet is that big guy I fought."

Fox scratched his head.

"I guess what I'm really trying to say is, how do you feel about joining the team?"

Kronos pondered that for a moment and then extended his hand.

"I'm in."

He and Fox shook hands