Chapter-14 Battle for Titania Part 1: The Cost Of War

"They're Recommending Euthanasia, For Non-Conformers Anywhere."

Asia-Wildest Dreams

Titania City

An Elite field commander took a look around the neighborhood. Two hours earlier, Elite, Locust, and Siberian soldiers had attacked the capitol after capturing several other cities. If they succeeded, they would have control of one of the biggest oil reserves in Lylat. Their job now was to keep the Titanian and Cornerian forces distracted from the main attack. They had ten prisoners from taking this area, only four of whom were military. The commander called over his second in command.

"Razack."

"Yes commander?"

"I need ten riflemen."

The major raised an eyebrow, but replied "Yes sir."

A few minutes later, the troops brought out the prisoners. The riflemen lined up, but were very hesitant. They were all recent conscripts,and had never been through the execution routine. The commander eyed them up.

"Ready!"

The troops switched off the safeties of their rifles.

"Aim!"

They raised their rifles.

"Fire!"

Nothing, the conscripts all looked at each other, as if looking for encouragement.

"Damn it, Fire!"

Still no response. The commander put his hand on his pistol.

"Listen gentleman, I know that this is your first time, but it's either them or you."

He stretched the last part out for emphasis. The Elites now had no choice. With a regretful look in their eyes, they shot their targets. The Locust watching were confused, the mass killings that they had committed on Sera had never been this organized. The Siberians, on the other hand, paid little mind to the execution. They simply tended to their machine guns, something that had to be done often in desert climates. The Elites walked off, all of them had their heads lowered. The commander looked over at Major Razack.

"All conscripts, Major?"

"With all due respect sir, everyone has to do it sooner or later."

"Regardless, don't do that again."

"Yes sir."

The commander approached a Kantus Monk, a tall, high ranking Locust.

"I need a few of your troops."

"Certainly, Commander Salazar."

Meanwhile, In Another Part of the City

The Great Fox landed in Titania City, the part that was not under hostile control that is. The Titanian and Cornerian troops at the spaceport gathered around to greet them. Initially, there was cheering, but the second they saw Kronos, they stopped. The Cornerians nervously gripped their weapons and the Titanians, probably too desperate to worry about it, just stared.

"It's okay guys, he's with us." said Fox.

All he got were some very confused looks from the Cornerians but the Titanians seemed to relax a little.