Chapter-10 Invisible Killer

"I always feel like, somebody's watching me."

Rockwell-Somebody's Watching Me

Great Fox II

Sector Z

The Next Day

The Star Fox team had gone to Sector Z to investigate the disappearance of a Cornerian fleet. They searched the area in their Arwings, turning up nothing.

"It's quiet, too quiet." said Slippy.

"Careful Slip, remember what happened when Peppy said that." replied Falco.

"Well that's strange, I didn't feel anything before but now I get the feeling that someone is watching us." said Krystal.

No sooner had she spoken, then several black triangle-shaped fighters appeared out of nowhere. They were far deadlier than the fighters over Corneria, even Fox had trouble with them. He still took down many of the ships. On occasion, he had to save Slippy and Lucy from them. The strange part was that the squadron never seemed to get bigger or smaller, which frustrated the pilots-for-hire. Fox was certain that they would be overrun but the ships stopped coming, replaced with an eerie silence. Then some lasers came out of nowhere and damaged Slippy's ship.

"Sorry guys but I've gotta bail." the frog said as he retreated to the Great Fox.

The lasers came again, but from a different direction, hitting Lucy. She also had to retreat. The remaining members split up, thinking that there was more than one enemy.

"They're definitely cloaked." said Falco.

"Hey Krystal, reach out and see how many guys are here."

"Anything for you hon."

Fox smiled, grateful that she had forgiven him.

"You're not going to believe this. I don't feel anything." Then her ship was hit with lasers.

"You okay babe?" Fox asked with a little concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just need some repairs."

Falco got hit next. He flew back cursing up a storm. Fox was alone now. His eyes darted all over and his heart was thumping so hard, he thought that it was going to jump into his throat. Then he saw that there was a distortion in front of him. He fired at it. The distortion turned out to be a Banshee, and a very modified one at that. It had a set of ten fuel rod cannons on it's roof and bigger engines.

"Just you and me McCloud." said the pilot, an Elite in red armor with purple lining.

"You're alone?"

"Correct."

"What's your name?"

"That's hardly important, but you may refer to me as Phantom."

Fox had heard whispers of such a name before. Phantom was a supposedly merciless assassin from Sangheilos. His thoughts were interrupted by being shot at. Fox fired back and the dog fight was on. The mercenary got behind Phantom and hit him with lasers. The Elite turned the tables on him by barrel-rolling through the wreckage scattered throughout the area. He fired his plasma cannons at the Arwing and then switched to his fuel rod guns. Fox avoided them for the most part, but still took some damage. He flew through a narrow section of damaged ship. Phantom backed off, giving Fox a chance to nail him. The smoking Banshee turned tail and retreated.

"I'll have to keep an eye out for you Phantom."

"McCloud, half my targets don't even realize that I'm there."

Fox flew back to the Great Fox, where he was greeted by his friends.

"One guy eh?" said Falco.

"Hey Fox, message from Dad. We're needed on Macbeth."