Chapter 7-Enemy From Below

"I hear a very gentle sound."

The Doors-When The Music's Over

Katina

The Star Fox team arrived above Katina, where the air force base was under siege. Katina has little water and thus is mostly desert. However, it is more habitable than Titania. The base wasn't difficult to find as columns of black smoke could be seen for miles.

Fox landed a short distance from the base. As usual, his ship was beamed up. The base consisted of a pyramid-shaped main building, several airfields and hangers, and lots of crates. There were also many shell casings on the ground. In fact, there were so many, that Solar glinting off them made the place seem like a gold mine. Destroyed starfighters and Landmasters, not to mention bloody drag marks, dotted the base; but there was not a single corpse, which confused Fox. Then he saw an intact Landmaster with four corpses near it. Naturally, he went to investigate.

A sniper watched the unsuspecting vulpine through his scope. He didn't fire just yet, the target wasn't in the trap at the moment. The Sniper was a Locust Drone, a six foot tall, gray-skinned creature from Nexus (Once located on Sera and now an autonomous republic within the Siberian Empire.) A pair of orange goggles was pushed up on his forehead. He now saw that the vulpine had put his back to him. The Locust exhaled and prepared to fire.

Fox approached the corpses. They had all been shot in the head or chest. One had a helmet, which Fox would have otherwise paid little attention to if he didn't see something reflected in it. Someone aiming a rifle at him from a guard tower to be exact. Fox hit the dirt just as a shot rang out. As if on cue, several more enemies stood up and started shooting at him. He crawled behind the Landmaster for cover; The only hostile who could still hit him was the sniper. But after Corneria, Fox had put an under-mounted grenade launcher on his rifle. He aimed at the tower and fired a grenade. The dead sniper was sent hurtling to the ground. Although the body was practically burned to a crisp, Fox saw that it was a Locust Drone.

"The Locust jumping on the bandwagon, sheesh, what's next?"

Of course, he couldn't take on all of the Drones by himself.

"Little help down here guys?"

"Sure thing Fox."

A Theron Guard looked up and saw four aircraft approaching. He was similar to a Drone but wore a red and black trench coat-style outfit and had the top-half of his face covered with a steel mask.

"Shoot them down." he said in his hoarse,snake-like voice.

Lucy's SAM warning light went off.

"Fox, someone's got a lock on me."

"I'll take care of it."

Fox leaned out from the tank and spotted the problem. A Locust aiming a black, tube-shaped launcher at the sky. A Xenosian Gargan shoulder-fired surface-to-air missile launcher. A unique aspect not seen in other portable SAM launchers is the fact that the Gargan has a small radar dish on top of the launcher that allows the operator to spot an aircraft before it spots them. Fox took out the Gargan wielding Locust with a head shot.

"I guess that makes us even."

He covered his ears as the team swopped in and fired cluster bombs at the Locust. Cluster bombs are similar to Nova Bombs aside from the fact that they split into smaller projectiles. The bombs killed many Locust and destroyed their makeshift forts of crates.