Chapter 3- Battle of Corneria City: Part One: The Living Dead

"Save Our City, Save Our City, Right Now"

The Doors-Roadhouse Blues

Corneria: 8:30 AM

The Star Fox team and Lucy flew over the sea on their way to Corneria City. Suddenly, a large shadow loomed over them; an Elite Starcruiser to be exact.

"That's odd. It's shields are down." said Slippy.

"Well than it's just a hell of a lot easier to destroy it." Fox replied before braking.

He pulled up and fired a bomb. The explosion decimated the ship, splitting it in two. The two halves fell into the ocean. They continued on to the island that was home to Corneria City, flying over hills on the edges, covered in snow as it was the middle of winter. There were smoking buildings and sporadic fires, but not as bad as previous wars.

"We can't get too close to Peppy's place, there's too many SAM(Surface-to-Air missile) batteries." said Krystal.

"I'll land and go on foot." Fox replied.

The kitsune landed near some public storage buildings. He hopped out and went to the side of the ship, gently hitting it with the side of his fist. A panel slid down, revealing a Cornerian CR-600 laser rifle, several spare charges for the rifle, and grenades. Fox grabbed the rifle and loaded a charge in. The vulpine then grabbed several spares and grenades and put them in the numerous pockets on his vest. Then his ship was beamed up to the Great Fox to prevent it from falling into enemy hands.

He shivered slightly in the cold. Naturally, his fur would keep him warm and his outfit was designed for survival in all matter of terrible conditions, but he still wished that he had brought a winter jacket.

Fox headed down the empty streets, seeing no military, civilians, or hostiles. That changed when he came to an alley and heard slurping and moaning noises from around the corner. He leaned against the wall and looked around.

The alley led to a parking lot, where a human in green clothing was crouched over with it's back to Fox. That would hardly be surprising, Lylat did have a sizable human population, but something didn't sit well with Fox; maybe it was the putrid smell in the air. With this in mind, he quietly approached the human, taking care not to step in any snow. He stopped a few inches away. This would allow him to jump behind an abandoned car if worse came to worse.

"Uh, sir." he cautiously called out.

The human went silent and turned his head to the vulpine. The sunken eyes, dead-looking gray skin, and overall terrifying appearance confirmed Fox's suspicions. The "human" raised himself onto both feet and lumbered toward him. He only stood there, muzzle agape in shock. Then instinct took over and Fox shot the man several times. The corpse hit the ground. Fox then saw what it had been crouched over; The corpse of a male German Shepard. The dog's stomach had been ripped open and his entrails were spilling onto the ground.

"Poor guy."

Suddenly he felt something grab his leg. Fox looked down and saw that the "corpse" had it's hand on him. It let out a menacing growl. Without thinking twice, Fox shot the Shepard in the head.

"What is this, a zombie flick? No way, zombies aren't real."

Of course Fox did have some religious and supernatural beliefs, but zombies were a different matter. He went to the end of the lot and poked his head out. He saw something worse, a whole crowd of "zombies" heading up the road. They were mostly humans in green or orange clothes and some were Cornerians. Some carried wrenches and steel pipes and some were headless. Fox fired on them, mostly aiming for the head if there was one. The crowd was easily dispatched, their red blood staining the snow. Fox headed for a building,only to have a "zombie" emerge. He rammed his rifle butt into the "zombie's" face, driving his jawbone into his brain. Fox continued on, occasionally lifting his rifle for a head shot, if there was a head that is.