Chapter-9 Sub Hunt

"Holy Diver, You've been down too long in the midnight sea."

Dio-Holy Diver

Aquas 12:30PM

Fox was under the waters of Aquas in the Blue Marine submersible. While he could have taken the Arwing II, he'd guessed that the maniac with the nukes was using a submarine and thus, would be able to sink to a depth that a star fighter couldn't handle.

The dark ocean was practically impenetrable even with the sub's lights. Fox sat with his head on his hand, bored out of his mind waiting for the Elite with green eyes. Then the sonar started to beep. Fox looked at the screen, and saw that there was a very large object coming toward him. He placed his finger over the torpedo trigger in preparation for battle. It soon came into view. The very large enemy submersible stopped; it obviously knew he was there. That white-armored, green eyed Elite appeared on the screen.

"Somehow, I figured that Lylat would send it's favorite son to stop me."

"Uh huh." Fox replied "What's your story?"

"General Shade Turant, Supreme Commander of the Sangheili Armed Forces."

"Now what is the highest ranking member of the Sangheili military doing piloting a submarine?"

"I'm certain that I have made that very clear in my ultimatum."

"You know that I can't let you nuke a city."

"Hmph, your small submersible against a nuclear sub. I think not."

"Even if you do launch a nuke, all the planets have nuclear defense systems."

"Are you willing to take the risk of these defenses failing and being humiliated?"

"What makes you think that they're going to blame me?"

"Regardless, they may want peace after they see their brethren burned to ashes."

"I doubt that. We Lylatians are very resilient."

"Then get on with it and stop me."

"You're on pal."

Fox began firing torpedoes at the Elite sub. However, the shields held up.

"My turn." Turant said with a sadistic grin.

He fired two torpedoes of his own. Luckily, Fox had the speed advantage, and was able to avoid the subsequent explosions. He ended up on the sub's starboard (right) side. Fox continued hitting the bulky machine, knowing that it wouldn't be able to turn quickly. This time, he was starting to do some damage. Shade fought back with side-mounted laser turrets, but water was leaking into the sub. He knew that he would have to abandon ship. Shade hit the eject button and floated to the surface in an escape pod, Fox in tow. On the surface, the general fired a flare to show his location. Fox was surfacing when a Phantom came into view. A standoff ensued. Fox knew that he could easily shoot it down. On the other hand, it could easily sink him.

"Looks like I have to let this guy go. Oh well, at least the nuclear threat is over."

Shade was taken up by the Phantom's grav-lift.

"We'll meet again Fox McCloud."

SSS Klevor

Location Unknown

Shade was speaking with Doug via hologram.

"Grissom, you were brought in to keep Star Fox occupied. And so far, you have done a fairly poor job of it."

"I'm waiting until he is least suspecting an attack. That's assuming that one of my friends doesn't get him before then." the Koopa replied.

Shade was about to lose all self-restraint when a beeping noise sounded.

"I have another call Grissom, I'll get back to you."

Grissom was replaced with the head of the Sangheili Fascist Party and ruler of the planet, Lord Madras Synn. Shade lowered his head in respect. That was the traditional way to greet someone of great authority in Elite culture. After the fascists took power in 2556, they had introduced the raised right arm salute made famous by the Italian Black Shirts and the German Nazis. That being said, they hardly seemed to care how their subordinates greeted them.

"Raise your head General, you seem tense." said the Elite in black armor.

"I was just speaking with Grissom, My Lord."

"I see, perhaps it was not so wise to give him the job, no?"

"Frankly My Lord, I don't believe that he can do it."

"Is he on hold?"

"Yes My Lord."

"Good, I would like to speak to him."

"Certainly, My Lord."

Shade brought Doug back up.

"Someone wants to talk you." he said as Lord Synn made contact with the Koopa.

"Ur, hey Lord Synn."

"Grissom, it is through your stalling that we have lost a submarine and four nukes to your former friend."

"Technically it was General Turant piloting it."

"I DON'T CARE! As far as I am concerned, you both share the responsibility. If you can't do what needs to be done Grissom, than I will find someone who can. Do I make myself clear?"

"Y..Yes Lord Synn." Grissom said before cutting the line.

"Turant, I hope that your plan fares better."

It was said among the Elites that Lord Synn, when angered, gave one of the most intimidating stares in the galaxy. His black orbs seemed to peer right into Turant's soul. The General took a moment to compose himself.

"I'm sure that it will."

Shade pulled out a cell phone and called his contact.

"Are you ready for a fox hunt?"

"More than ready." said the voice on the other end.