Chapter-11 Trouble on Macbeth

"Are We Just Lambs To The Slaughter, Who Wait For The Axe To Fall."

Gary Moore-Victims Of The Future

Macbeth 1:30PM 

The Next Day

"Bad news guys. It seems that the unidentified hostiles have hit several major chemical plants on Macbeth. If you plan on going in on foot, I advise that you wear a gas mask."

The team was undertaking a scouting mission to determine whether to send in troops or bomb the area. Fox agreed to go in on foot. Fires raged and the odd explosive chemical ignited and went up. Fox thought he saw shapes moving among the wreckage, but he couldn't be too sure.

He landed his ship and hopped out, gas mask on and rifle ready. For a few minutes, nothing could be seen but spilled chemicals and burning buildings. Then he heard the backwards chatter of the troops that he had encountered in the Cornerian sewers. The troops appeared over a hill, but were no match for Fox.

Then he heard some snarling behind him. One of those creatures from Peppy's house threw a fireball at him. Fox rolled to the side and fired into the creature, killing it. Then another one jumped down in front of him from a roof. Fox killed that one as well.

He moved through the ruined buildings, avoiding toxic sludge as best he could. Suddenly, something jumped at him from a pile of rubble. It looked like the previous creatures, but had two small heads with orange eyes and very long tongues. It was on all fours, but stood up on it's hind legs to confront the mercenary. Fox ducked as it swung a claw at him. He gave the creature an uppercut with his rifle. It recoiled, giving him an opportunity to shoot the monster. He reloaded and continued, encountering several more of the troops and creatures.

The two-headed creatures didn't appear to have the ability to throw fireballs, but were just as adept at jumping as their eight-eyed cousins (Fox had guessed that they were related by their similar body structure of clawed appendages and goat-like legs). They also preferred to travel on all-fours, getting up on two legs to fight. Fox fought his way through them.

Now there was silence. Then the kitsune heard a growl from behind. He whipped around, nothing. He heard a similar growl from his left, still nothing there. He reloaded his rifle, fumbling slightly with the new charge as he was shaking uncontrollably. Then a wall in front of him started to crack, then it stopped. Fox aimed his rifle at the wall. Then something plowed through a totally different section. It was a large creature, seemingly made of rolls of fat, with a lizard-like mouth, small horns beside said mouth, and cybernetic back legs. Fox fired, but his rifle proved to have no stopping power against the dog-like creature.

It charged for him. Fox was barely able to roll out of the way. The creature turned around and charged again. Fox still avoided it, but he tripped over a piece of debris. The big creature seemed to take notice. It ran at the vulpine, who fired into it. The creature's endurance finally failed it; it skidded along the ground to a few inches from Fox's face. The kitsune stood up and emptied his remaining shots into it just to be sure. He kept going, taking out several of the eight-eyed and two-headed creatures, and backwards talking soldiers. He felt the ground begin to shake. Out on an open plain, the ground parted and out emerged a very large beast.

"You have got to be shitting me." thought Fox.

The beast was a Locust Corpser, a creature that can be best described as a cross between a lobster and a spider.

"Need Arwing now." Fox said over the comm.

He hopped in and joined the team in attacking the Corpser. The beast protected itself with it's thick legs. Even bombs had little effect. The Corpser did expose it's head eventually, and received many lasers, making it back toward a still intact chemical plant.

"Guys, hit the plant. It might explode."

The creature swung it's legs at the Arwings, making Fox's idea easier said then done. It also blocked bombs with them. Fox eventually managed to trick it by flying towards it and firing between the legs at the building. The resulting explosion burned the Corpser to death.

"Pep, send the bombers in, this area's too hot for troops."

"Affirmative."

In a few minutes, massive bombers flew over and carpet bombed the area. Fox watched, nothing alive could survive such a thing. Not even those freaks of nature.

****

"TURANT! YOU HAVE FAILED ME AGAIN!" Lord Synn growled at his commander over the holo-channel.

"I am aware of that My Lord. But I have planned for this situation."

"Have you?"

"Yes, if you will allow me to explain myself."

The leader nodded. "Go on than."

"Well My Lord, I have always made mention of the fact that the person cut out for this task was on our very planet. I believe that you can infer what I mean."

Lord Synn gave another nod. "Very well."