Chapter-17: The Devil's Playground

"They Told Me, Don't Go Walkin' Slow, The Devil's On The Loose"

Creedence Clearwater Revival-Run Through the Jungle.

The Great Fox emerged over Babel, a red planet. According to Kronos, it was red from erupting volcanoes and earthquakes. The atmosphere was so thick that the Great Fox's scanners couldn't see the ground.

"Is the air breathable?" asked Fox.

Kronos nodded. Fox, Krystal, and Kronos decided to go planet side. The flight through the atmosphere was very rough. The clouds took away all visibility and it was very stormy. It took a good twenty minutes to get out of the clouds.

Below them was a landscape devoid of vegetation and covered in rocks, volcanoes, and pools of lava and acid. The trio found a field of rocks to land in. They had also discovered that communication with the ship was impossible, and therefore, they had to hide their ships as best they could. Kronos had it a little easier as his Banshee had active camo.

The three made their way through the wasteland. Fox carried his assault rifle and had a sniper rifle on his back, Kronos had a Type-51, and Krystal had a blaster. The minutes passed without a single Demon harassing them. They eventually came to an open area. Fox went up ahead, hoping to draw out any attacker. Everything seemed to be fine, until the ground started shaking and cracking. It began collapsing faster than Fox would would have been able to get back to his friends. He tried to run from the collapsing ground, but it quickly caught up with him. The vulpine fell for a few brief moments, but managed to grab onto a cliff where the ground had presumably stopped falling.

Fox was very far away from Kronos and Krystal. The former looked around with his binoculars and spotted the vulpine hanging on for dear life.

"He's okay. We'd better find a way around to him."

Fox began looking for a foothold. He thought he found one, but it broke from beneath him. He felt around and found a more steady one. The vulpine began scaling the cliff face. He was near the top when he felt something grab him by the throat and lift him off the cliff. The deactivation sound of camouflage was heard, revealing an Elite in aqua armor and a leather jacket. Fox put his ears back and bared his teeth.

"Neigora." he snarled.

The Elite only grinned. The red fox pointed his rifle at the Elite.

"Shoot me and you die."

Fox wanted to, but he knew that the Elite was right. Neigora, with what could be best described as a smirk on his face, wrenched the weapon from Fox's hand.

"Cornerian Army, standard issue." he remarked before crushing it.

"Do you know how expensive those are?" yelled Fox.

"From one professional to another, it isn't a problem getting a replacement."

He then lifted Fox back onto solid ground with one hand.

"This is where it ends for you McCloud."

Krystal was running alongside the newly opened chasm when she felt a disturbance in her mind. Kronos turned around and saw her standing still with a hand on her head.

"What's wrong?"

"It's Fox."

The Elite searched the chasm with his binoculars and saw Fox being choked by a very familiar looking figure in aqua and black.

"Damn, Neigora's got him." Kronos said while aiming his carbine.

Krystal looked over at him.

"Can you hit him from here?"