Chapter 4-Battle of Corneria City: Part 2:The War Machine

"One World, It's a Battle Ground."

Pink Floyd-Dogs of War

Corneria City: 8:35 AM

Fox made his way through the war-torn capitol. He hadn't encountered any "zombies" for a few minutes. He went into an abandoned shop. Inside, he smelled something burning. Curious and suspicious, Fox followed it the back door. He positioned himself against the wall on the right side of the door and kicked it open with his heel. Not a sound was heard. Fox ran across the open doorway to the other wall, still nothing.

"Odd."

He went out and found several burning Elite vehicles. There was one Wraith Tank, a large gray tank that hovers as opposed to using treads, three Spectres, a red, roughly cone-shaped assault vehicle, and several Shadow troop transports. Fox took a look around and warmed his hands over one of the vehicles. There were also several dead Elites in the snow, which was noticeably stained with their purple blood. Fox shook his head and went into an alley full of dumpsters.

"Great place for an ambush." he said to himself.

"You're right about that." said a deep voice.

Fox's heart skipped a beat.

"Who's there?"

"That's hardly important, now throw your gun down or we will shoot you."

Fox complied and threw down his rifle.

"Excellent." the voice said.

It was coming from behind Fox. He looked over his shoulder. At first he saw nothing, but upon looking a little harder he saw three transparent outlines. Then the sound of active camouflage being deactivated was heard.

"As you can see, you're completely surrounded."

All around Fox were the eight-feet tall, mandibular, shield-generating armor wearing creatures from Sangheilos. Most wore blue armor, meaning that they were either Privates or Corporals. Two wore red, showing that they were Majors. The bulk of them had Type-51 semi-automatic carbines as their weapons. All of them had a Type-48 chargeable plasma pistol as their side arm.

The definition of chargeable is that while simply pulling the trigger of a weapon fires semi-automatic shots, holding it down charges a powerful shot. The drawback is that the weapon has to discharge the excess heat.

A private and one of the majors had a Type-50 automatic plasma rifle, though it could be more accurately described as a pistol since Elites are strong enough to wield it with one hand.

"Well, if it isn't the great Fox McCloud." said the major with the Type-50.

He looked older than the rest, suggesting that he was the commander.

"Uh huh, what do you want?" Fox replied.

"Just be grateful that we found you and not our comrades in the Republican Guard!" the major barked

"But if you must know, we were ordered to bring you in alive. I don't know why, but I can scarcely imagine how well our great leader Lord Synn will reward us."

Fox rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, whatever." he said, hoping to provoke the major.

The older Elite's expression grew more stern.

"Careful McCloud, they never said anything about giving you a concussion."

"Be my guest." Fox replied.

"Heh, I know what you're trying to do. And it isn't working. Now lose the pistol."

Fox looked down at the CR-20 pistol strapped to his right side. His father had kept the weapon in the house when he was younger. Fox had taken it for himself when he had started training to be a pilot. Instinctively, he reached for it with his right hand.

"Your other hand." interrupted the major.

Fox obeyed and drew it with his left hand and held it upside down in a seemingly non-threatening manner.

"Throw it, slowly." ordered the major.

"Alright." Fox said and went through the motions.

But at the point where he would have thrown it, Fox flipped it right side up and shot the Elite on his left in the head. At such a close range, the laser went through his shields and splattered blood and viscera on the wall behind him. Fox then rolled forward and retrieved his rifle. An Elite in front of him aimed his carbine at Fox. The vulpine knocked the weapon away from him and fired his rifle into the Elite at point blank range, killing him. Fox then ducked behind a dumpster. Unfortunately, so did the remaining Elites. Fox leaned out to fire at them but had to duck back in as plasma bolts and particle beams were fired at him.

"Damn" he said, realizing that he had just jumped from one frying pan into another.

He tried blind firing but it did him no good. Frustrated, he pulled out a grenade. Corneria doe's not have grenades that require a pin to be pulled. Instead, they have a button that arms, or more popularly "primes" the grenade.

Fox primed the grenade, counted to two in his head, and tossed it at one of the dumpsters. The two Elites only had time to yelp in surprise before it exploded, killing them both. One was thrown against the wall and the other was thrown against the dumpster behind him, his corpse leaving a noticeable dent in the side. The two majors fired on Fox's position but didn't score a hit. Fox fired back with no better results. The two majors ducked, exchanged a look, and nodded. The younger of the two emptied his carbine on Fox's position. Fox popped out to fire back but saw a vague outline heading for him. Naturally, he fired at it, the older major's shields overloaded and he collapsed with a stomach wound. The younger major reloaded and had Fox in his sights. But the mercenary was quicker and took him out. He approached the wounded major. The Elite tried to draw his pistol but Fox kicked it from his hand.

"You care to explain why you're invading us, who you're friends are, and why there are people walking around like zombies?"

The major chuckled at that last remark but it was cut short by his wound. Fox narrowed his eyes and prepared to shoot him.

"I'm going to die anyway. And you're coming with me." the major said before activating a Type-1 plasma grenade.

Fox ran and dove behind a dumpster. There was an explosion and then silence. Fox went back to scavenge anything useful. The ground and walls were covered in the major's blood and innards. Fox found the body of the younger major and relieved him of his plasma grenades since they could stick to enemies and vehicles. Then he left the sickening sight behind.