Chapter-18: The Demon Lord Cometh

"The Black Queen Chants The Funeral March, The Cracked Brass Bells Will Ring, To Summon Back The Fire Witch, To The Court Of The Crimson King."

King Crimson-The Court Of The Crimson King

Fox and Kronos had been following the signal for an hour. It had taken them across the wasteland to a skull-shaped cave with Imps guarding the entrance.

"Well so much for a surprise attack." said the vulpine.

To which the Elite replied. "They can't catch us if we split up. I'll distract them while you sneak in."

"Sounds like a plan."

Kronos fired at the Demonic guards and made himself visible. He ran off with the Imps chasing him. When they were gone, Fox ran into the mouth of the cave.

***

The vixen groaned as she opened her eyes. The last thing she remembered was Druids chanting and passing out. Her vision was blurry, but as it grew clearer, Krystal saw that she was staring at the top of a cave and worse; a very familiar Koopa holding a knife. She tried to get away, but found that she was chained to a rock.

"Sheesh, settle down woman." said Doug.

"What do you want with me?" demanded Krystal.

"Not me, them." Doug pointed behind him.

Krystal raised her head as best as she could. There were several Druids with their backs to the two.

"Apparently, some Demons can only be brought over with an elaborate ceremony. I think whatever they wanna bring over is pretty powerful. Anyways, these guys said that womens blood works best. I presume that's why they brought you here." Doug explained.

"So they're going to sacrifice me to bring over some foul beast from the depths?"

"I never mentioned killing you, did I? No, they just need some of your blood. And only mortal beings are allowed to draw the blood, so they asked me to do it."

As the Koopa prepared the knife, Krystal took a look at his thoughts.

"Damn, she's a lot like her."

"No Way! She ain't nothing like her."

"But then again there is a similarity to her. Aw cripes, I'm getting reminiscent again."

Krystal wanted to find out about this "Her", but she couldn't. If she pried further he would know that she was in his mind.

"Just who is this "Her" and would she approve of what you're about to do?"

That seemed to strike home with Doug. He put the knife to her throat and leaned in real close.

"Don't ever mention that around me again, you hear. Or I'll slit your neck wide open."

Then he sliced her open hand and gave the bloody blade to a waiting Druid. The Druid took it over to an altar and let a few drops fall onto it, at which point, the black-robed Demons began to chant. A dark, swirling vortex appeared. Doug watched contentedly until he felt someone press a cold metal weapon to the back of his head.

"Unchain her." said the voice of his old friend Fox.

Doug obeyed and unlocked the chains. As soon as she was free, Krystal decked him across the face.

"I guess I deserve that." Doug remarked while rubbing his left cheek.

Fox gave Krystal her blaster back and pointed his handgun at the Koopa. He glanced at the GF-3 pistol on Doug's left hip. The weapon is a Koopa version of the Desert Eagle.