Glancing around the room I notice some of the lights are out, but some are still shinning brightly. The memories of last night flood my mind chasing away the darkness of the conversation with Paul and causing my face to turn red.

Ryder props a hip up against the counter crossing his arms across his chest and studies me. I squirm under his steady gaze not sure to be turned on or freaking out over the conversation I'm about to have with him. He is telling me without words he knows something is on my mind, but he'll wait for me to start talking.

After we both a sitting down with a cup of coffee, which will be spiked, I'll tell him his father called me. No longer able to meet his eyes I glance around the room looking at everything except him. Ryder picks up on my discomfort and does nothing to try and engage me in conversation. He is giving me my space to process what I'm about to do next.

The coffee finished brewing and he pours us each a cup mixing in cream and sugar. "Might want to add the Kahlua first," I tell him.

His eyes slightly enlarge and he takes in a quick breath. "This conversation is going to be that bad?"

My eyes meet his for a second then I let my head fall to the table with a groan. Where is the strong independent women I am? She's seems to be hiding in a corner somewhere. Ryder and I only just patched our difference last night and I'm about to drop a doosey on him.

Leaving my head resting on the table I hear him open a cabinet and pour a generous amount of the alcohol into our mugs. He sets my mug down next to me and awkwardly pats the top of my head. I turn my head to the side to stare at him and watch as he slides into the seat across from me already sipping on his coffee. With the speed of a turtle I pick my head off the table, reach for my coffee and take a drink needing as much liquid courage I can get this early in the morning.

Ryder says nothing he only watches my actions like a hawk. Waiting for me to break the silence and tell him what's on my mind, for which I'm grateful. I set the coffee mug down and reach for his hand needing a way to feel as though is he anchored to me.

"This morning I received a phone call," I explain as calmly as I can.

Ryder slightly turns his head to the side and confusion is written all over his face. "Okay?" I can only imagine what he is currently thinking.

No longer wanting to drag this out nor have my anxiety eat away at me I say, "the call was from your father."

Ryder springs away from the table and passes the small space continuously running his hand thorough his hair. My eyes watch him trying to get a read on what he is thinking and feeling, but I come up empty. Like when he was waiting for me to speak I to shall have to wait for him to speak.

My phone buzzes with an incoming text. Skylar informs me the busses are all at the site and the crew was starting to unload. I send her a quick message explaining I was running a little behind and if she could handle the step up till I was able to join her. The response from her comes as soon as I hit send. All her text says is she is on it and a winky smiley face.

I sense someone staring at me and when I look up from my phone I discover Ryder has stopped his pacing. He takes a few deep breaths and I can see the inner war within his eyes. "Wh...what...d..." He stops for a second and steadies himself. Gaining as much control over his emotions as he can. "What did he want?"

Not wanting to continue this conversation so far from him I stand from my seat to wrap my arms around his neck and his go instantly around my hips. I can feel his body slightly trembling.

Staring up at him I explain the phone conversation. "He wanted to know if you had received his letter. Which I kept my answer vague. Then he became heated and demanded how do I not know since you and I are together. To which I explained yours and my relationship or lack of relationship is none of his business."