Chapter twenty seven

The following week, Lucifer was mentally shut out from the rest of the world, his mind flooded with questions. He had left the castle a number of times to go observe the outdoors, and to clear his head. He had to his father, the world was quite beautiful. When he was Sam he enjoyed being outside and exploring the world around him. For a moment he felt that way again but then was hit with the reminder he wasn't Sam anymore. A few mortals close by were happily talking about an upcoming party, but they panicked and ran once they noticed him.

Once again he was hit with the feeling of unhappiness, the fear only made him feel lonely. So the question he began asking himself is what did he really want? Because now he had everything he had ever wanted. But still, he wasn't satisfied, was he just that prideful or did he desire something greater? He thought back to all those decades ago when he saw how his father loved humanity, and how envious he became of them. His jealousy turned into pride and he considered himself to be so perfect that he rebelled against God.

But maybe there was another desire behind it, before humanity came to be Lucifer was happy. He and his brothers sealed Amara away and helped God create the world, at that point he felt loved. Love? Was that what he most desired? He shook his head in disbelief at the mere thought. But it refused to leave his head, so maybe in some sick twisted way maybe that's what he always wanted. Because he never received it, except when he was Sam. Everyone loved him then and he felt happy, but he had betrayed them all.

He listened to the words of Azazel and his demon followers and let them corrupt his mind. He had imprisoned his friends and the man he called father, try as he might he couldn't stop a tear from falling. A fitting punishment for all the times when he had deceived others into turning against God. Lucifer stayed in his chambers until he turned into his shadow form, and snuck inside the bunker. He couldn't be around the castle now, he needed some comfort and there was only thing besides Dean that brought him comfort. Being as quick as he could and grabbed the stuffed moose from her spot on the floor.

The fallen angel quickly retreated back to his castle before anyone noticed he was gone. Inside his chambers, he laid down on his bed and kept Hope close to him.
"Dean, what am I going to do?" He asked the toy. Speaking to it as if it were the real Dean. Because Dean was the one who gave him this incredible toy. Azazel was furious when he found about the children's escape. It seemed like each passing day his king became more sympathetic towards humans, he refused to imprison them except for Dean. So he made his way down to the dungeons wanting to have a personal conversation with Dean.

"You have corrupted our king, " Azazel accused him but the hunter refused to look at him.
"How so?" Dean asked.
"He let the mortal children go free and keeps showing mercy, " Azazel responded. Dean just smiled because he knew that Sam was still in there, and he was proud of him.
"That's my boy, " Dean answered not caring how angry Azazel got when he said that.
"What how dare you speak that way about the devil" Azazel screamed.
"He is not the devil and you know how I know?" Dean asked finally turning around to face the demon. "Because Sam is good and there is nothing good about the devil," he continued "think what you may Azazel but I am proud of Sam and I always will be," he kept going. "And it's because of you that Sam believes that he is the devil, " he finished.

"He is not Sam, he is the devil that who he is supposed to be!" Azazel declared.
"You don't get to make that choice for him Azazel, he is his own being, not the monster you're trying to make him, " Dean responded standing up to prove his point.
"Are you referring to the child you met in the woods or your dead brother?" Azazel suddenly got an idea. If Lucifer loved Dean so much when he shouldn't love anyone but himself, then he would use the love they had for each other against them both. Then his king would become heartless again and he would take great pleasure in killing Dean.

"Sam is my little brother and he's also my son, " Dean answered.
"No, I mean your real brother? The one that died, " Azazel continued.
Dean tensed up at the mention of that, still hurting from that day.
"Stop it you can't bait me, " Dean responded keeping his emotions in check
"Not in this way I can't, but I can something much worse to you, " Azazel responded and open his mouth. A black mist slipped out of it and Dean backed away from it until he was against the wall. "Don't worry it's not a demon, but you will soon see things a lot differently," Azazel continued and smirked as the mist went inside Dean's mouth. The hunter passed out briefly and when he opened his eyes they were red. Azazel was pleased because of what betrayal could he set up.

"So she wouldn't say why he wanted to see me?" Lucifer asked after Azazel had gone into his throne room and told him the news.  Dean had been screaming at the guards demanding to see him and Lucifer was unsure why Dean wanted to. But maybe this was his chance to reconnect with Dean. He would never dare say this out loud, but he still craved the father-like affection from Dean.

Because he didn't want to be Lucifer anymore but he couldn't go back to being Sam. The guards allowed him to come into Dean's cell and Lucifer saw that Dean had his back turned. He was laying down and his body was mostly covered. Lucifer felt the urge to ask what was wrong but something about Dean felt off.
"You asked to see me?" Lucifer asked but Dean still didn't look at him.
"Yes, " Dean responded and Lucifer once again thought that Dean seemed to be acting weird.

Maybe Dean was angry with him, he had imprisoned him after all. But it was only because he never wanted Dean to leave him.
"Are you alright?" Lucifer asked and the words felt so foreign to him. He had never asked that question to a human and meant it. He would ask it if he was manipulating someone into doing his bidding. "Did the demons hurt you?"
"No, " Dean responded and the hunter closed his eyes shut. "I'm sorry, " he began to mumble.

At this point, Lucifer was convinced that one of his followers had done something to Dean.
"Dean tell me what they did," Lucifer said getting closer to Dean. But he just continued to mumble that he was sorry. "Please talk to me, " Lucifer continued to press on. Then suddenly Dean snapped up and gave him a dark glare.
"I'm sorry for finding you in those words and not realizing what you really are, " Dean said to him. Before Lucifer could even respond Dean tried to attack with a dagger.

"I never should have found you because all you did was try and replace my brother!" Dean screamed. "He was an angel yet still he was killed by an angel because he loved me!" He continued. Lucifer tried to stop Dean from attacking him but he was shocked by Dean's words that he could barely move. Let alone use his powers against him.
"Please Dean stop this, don't you recognize me?  " Lucifer asked trying to reason with the enraged Dean. "

"Of course I do, you're the devil who deceived me into loving you, " Dean spat out. "But I've finally come to my senses you're not Sam and you can't ever replace my brother!" He continued to scream and launched himself at the angel.
"Dean, what are you doing?" Lucifer asked once Dean manage to lay a blow on him. It was only a dagger so it didn't do so much damage, but that didn't make the action itself hurt any less.
"I'm fixing the mistake I made, and saving the angels you locked away, " Dean responded.

"No De please stop, it's me, Sam, " Lucifer pleaded but Dean didn't stop and Lucifer began to cry. "I'm sorry about everything you have to believe me, "
"Yet you locked me up along with innocent children, who were scared to death, " Dean said to him. "You never loved me and I'm ashamed that I ever considered you a son, " those words hurt more than anything Lucifer had ever heard and he screamed.
Azazel then came running into the cell with a number of demons who grabbed the thrashing Dean.
"He's attacked the king, " Azazel said. "Take him to the gallows, "
"What no, " Lucifer said despite what had just happened.
"He tried to kill you, my king, take him away!" Azazel ordered.