Chapter fifteen

The next few days Sam began opening up a bit more. He talked a lot more and explored the bunker for things to do. The young angel found comfort in the library and liked to look through the books. Dean wondered if he should send the kid to school so he could learn to read and write. He had attempted to teach Sam himself, but  Dean was a terrible teacher and Sam learned nothing.

Dean also found that he was a lot happier with Sam around. Whenever he saw the kid's bright smile it made his day. But still, he couldn't let himself get too attached, this could still be a cruel trick of Lucifer. And Dean had to keep telling himself that this Sam wasn't his brother. No matter how similar they were, his brother was dead and nothing could change that.
"Dean, when will you take me outside?" Sam asked one day while the two were relaxing in the living room.
"I didn't think you wanted to, " Dean admitted.

"I see other kids like me go outside, and I want to play with them, " Sam answered.
"Well I have been thinking about sending you to school, " Dean said and Sam's eyes lit up.
"What's that it sounds fun?" Sam asked unsure what the word meant, but he wanted to experience it. Dean laughed at the angel's words.
"It's where kids go to learn how to write and read, " Dean explained.
"Will I make friends?" Sam asked. The kid was very self-conscious about what others thought about him.

"Well... " Dean said unsure how to answer. He was never great at making friends as a kid. Because he would never stay in one school long, due to his hunting life. But he decided to tell the kid what his brother did when he asked him that same question. "It may be hard at first, but nothing in life is easy, " Dean explained. "Plus you never know until you try, " he continued. Sam seemed satisfied with that answer and smiled. "Just one thing kid, we gotta get some clothes for you, " he finished. Ben's clothes were way too big and baggy on Sam. Plus he couldn't have Sam walk around with those wings and red eyes. He needed a disguise.

Later that day after checking through his laptop for any cases. Dean called Charlie on his cellphone while Sam entertained himself with another book.
"Dean?" Charlie asked surprised he had called.
"Hey kiddo I'd like to take you up, on that favor, " Dean answered.
"Oh sure, what can I do for you?" Charlie asked, Dean could practically see her smile.
"Before I explain it, you gotta promise you won't tell anyone, " Dean responded and Charlie went silent for a few seconds.
"Dean are you in some kind of trouble?" Charlie finally questioned.

"No but you just gotta trust me on this okay," Dean said to her.
"I solemnly swear I'm up to no good, " Charlie answered. "Before you ask it's a Harry Potter thing, " she continued. Dean laughed briefly and asked her if she could buy some clothes at the store. She at first thought they were for him, but then Dean said he needed clothes for a little boy.
"What?" Charlie asked thinking she heard wrong.
"This isn't something I can explain over the phone, you should probably just come over here, " Dean responded. Charlie said she would arrive in an hour or two, and Sam went up to Dean asking for food.

"Can I have something to eat Dean?  " he asked. It still surprised him that Sam got hungry, angels didn't need food or sleep. Sam didn't sleep at night, he claimed it was because he saw people scream when he closed his eyes. But he wasn't human so he wasn't affected by any lack of sleep. Yet somehow he still on occasion wanted food, maybe the angel was trying to be human.
"Sure but don't make a mess, I have someone coming over, " Dean answered handing Sam a handful of raisins.
"Is it that girl you were talking to?" Sam asked while chewing. "Is she your girlfriend?"

Dean laughed and now knew, how others always felt when they watched him eat.
"Don't talk with food in your mouth buddy, it's rude and you might choke, " Dean told him.
"But I see you do it, " Sam argued logically.
"Do as I say not as I do okay?" Dean asked with a sigh. Sam nodded and promised to not do it again. "It's okay kid, you're young and have to learn these things, " he continued. "And to answer your question from earlier, no Charlie isn't my girlfriend," he explained. "I'm not even her type, " he finished with a laugh.
"What does that mean?" Sam asked and Dean told him to ask when he was older. He didn't feel like explaining different types of love to a young angel.

Especially when he still wasn't sure if the kid was Lucifer or not. Eventually, Charlie came over to the Bunker and was at a loss for words when she saw Sam. The angel became incredibly shy and hid behind Dean's leg. "Dean?" He asked afraid to come out.
"It's okay Sam, Charlie is a friend, " Dean whispered to him.
"Dean may I speak with you alone please," Charlie requested. Dean sighed but nodded knowing what she was wanted to talk about. Sam didn't want to leave Dean's side but the hunter promised it would only be temporary.

"Dean, what is going on?" Charlie asked once the two were alone. Dean explained how he had found Sam, and that he had been staying in the bunker ever since. "So he's an angel?" She asked after hearing everything.
"Yes but he seems to have some human qualities, he gets hungry, thirsty and he even expresses the will to learn, " Dean explained.
"Have you told Castiel or the angels yet?" Charlie asked and Dean said nothing giving the girl her answer. "This could be a trap Dean, this little kid could be the devil, " Charlie pointed out.

"I know but when I look at him all I see is.. " he couldn't finish the last part of his sentence.
"Your brother, " Charlie finished for him. "Well I'll say this, he certainly looks like him and his wings don't burn your eyes, " she continued.
"Yeah another thing I don't understand, but hopefully I'll get all my answers eventually," Dean responded. "Can you help me get a disguise for him?" He asked. Charlie took in many deep breaths before answering.
"I'll help you and I won't say anything, " she answered. "I just hope you can trust him, " she continued.
"I'm starting to think I can, "