Chapter four

Eighteen years later
Sam sat on his bed waiting for Dean to wake up. He did this every night to early morning since he never slept, sometimes he had to pretend so John wouldn't catch him. Sam's opinion on the man hadn't changed much, he was still quite neglectful and forced Dean to grow up quickly. This was because their father had become obsessed with finding Mary's killer, so he took on a hunting life. Over the years he trained Dean to become a hunter as well, and Sam eventually found out about the other parts of the supernatural world. He was furious when he found out that their father had lied about what he did. As an angel, Sam always somewhat believed in ghosts, but hunting them and creatures like that made his skin crawl.

"Dean come on wake up, " Sam said to his brother who was asleep on the opposite motel bed. Dean groaned and pulled the pillow over his head, he had no interest in getting up. "Dean, " Sam said again now a bit annoyed. " your car is gone, " he continued and Dean bolted awake at those words.

"No not my baby!" Dean screamed only to see that Sam had only said that to wake up. The disguised angel laughed. "Very funny Sammy, " Dean growled as he groggily got out of bed.
"You would sleep all day if I didn't wake you up, " Sam argued. He never quite understood why Dean slept so much or why humans required it. In fact their were a few things about humans that he still didn't understand. Like why they ate food three times a day, Sam only tasted molecules when he ate. So why did humans enjoy it so much? He kept all these things hidden though, no one could know he was an angel.

Dean couldn't even know, his older brother wasn't a black and white hunter like their father was. John hunted anything that wasn't human, and he was still pushing for Dean to be the same way. Sam knew that Dean would never be like that though, despite his rough and tough nature. He was a kind hearted soul, its why he had always been so attached to him. Still Dean couldn't know his secret, he hated lying about it. But he couldn't bare to see the look of utter betrayal on Dean's face when the truth came out.

"I wouldn't sleep all day, I woke up eventually, " Dean responded and slipped his leather jacket on along with his small bronze amulet. "Hungry?" He asked eager to eat something.
"Starving, " Sam lied. As the two left the motel room, Dean spotted John passed out on the couch.
"Looks like the bottle got the best of Dad again, " Dean whispered once they got outside.
"He really shouldn't drink so much, " Sam replied. Sam wasn't an idiot he knew how dangerous alcohol could be, that's why he never liked it when Dean had some.

"Let's hope he stays that way until we get back, " Dean answered as he got inside the impala. Sam got into the passenger seat and Dean drove off. Like always Dean played classic rock songs from his cassette tapes, during the drive.
"Led Zeppelin again?" Sam asked smiling a bit. Dean turned up the volume before he answered.
"Sorry can't hear you the music is too loud, " Dean said. Sam enjoyed the concept of music, it was quite relaxing, and could tell stories with its words. It was things like this, that sometimes made him wish he was human. Then he wouldn't have to hide who he was all the time.

"You're thinking out loud again, " Dean said interrupting Sam's thoughts.
"But I haven't said a word, " Sam responded wondering if Dean was messing with him.
"No but I can see the look on your face, your thinking very hard, " Dean answered and Sam playfully scoffed.
"Hmm is that so, then what I am thinking about right now?" Sam challenged. Dean of course didn't have the ability to read minds, but it was fun to joke about it.
"Either how amazing I am or that my music is annoying, " Dean answered with a smile.
"Jerk, " Sam said at his brother's words.
"Bitch, " Dean responded like usual whenever Sam called him that.

When the two finally arrived at a nearby doughnut shop, Dean happily ate his breakfast while Sam picked at his until it was gone. "I swear sometimes I feel like you never want to eat, " Dean commented.
"I eat three times a day Dean, " Sam said without a second thought. His older brother gave him the old just kidding glance before he started ranting about a girl he hooked up with. Sam listened without question even though he knew the story by heart, however then someone outside caught his eye. It was another angel that much clear because Sam could sense it, but why they were her Sam didn't know. "Hey what are looking at?" Dean asked looking out the window trying to pinpoint what his brother was staring at.

"Just saw someone I thought I knew, stay here I'll be right back, " Sam said as he stood up and walked outside to meet the other angel. He followed the other angel to the back of the building where there were almost no people. "You shouldn't be here, someone could see you, " Sam pointed out.
"Neither should you Samuel, " the angel responded. Sam had to resist the urge to roll his eyes, it was Uriel, what did he want this time? It was no secret that Uriel believed that Sam should be removed from his power. Since he fled from Heaven and expressed emotions for humankind.
"It's Sam, get my name right, " Sam responded crossing his arms.

"Sam Winchester was your human name, you're not human but yet you're not one of us either, " Uriel said. Sam felt a twinge of anger run through him but he refused to show it.
"What do you want Uriel?" Sam asked refusing to look weak in front of the older angel.
"I think you know why I'm here Samuel, " Uriel said in a monotone voice. "You've grown too attached to Dean Winchester, " he continued. Those words made Sam's eyes flash blue, if Uriel wanted a fight then he was seconds away from walking into one.

"He's my brother, " Sam answered and Uriel flapped his wings so that he was right up in Sam's face.
"No he is not, he's human and you're an angel, " Uriel stated. "You're trending on dangerous ground Samuel, you know what happens to angels who get too close to humans, " he continued and each word was like a dagger in Sam's heart. "They become fallen and we both know that Dean won't like that, " he finished. For a few minutes, Sam shrunk under Uriel's height but then stood up straight. He wasn't going to let Uriel push him around, he wasn't some little cherub anymore. He was a fully grown angel, and no one was going to conceive him to leave Dean.

"I will hear no more of this Uriel, I am not leaving Dean's side, " Sam stated right into Uriel's face. "And if you want me to leave, you're going to have to make me, " he continued.
"I see you've grown confident Samuel, but heed my warning, you can't save Dean from death, " Uriel said. "He is mortal after all, and all mortals die eventually, " he continued, and then with a flap of his wings, Uriel was gone.