Chapter twenty

Sam wasn't sure at all where he was going, he had never been anywhere by himself before. He wished he hadn't agreed to this, every small movement scared him and Sam felt ridiculous when he realized it was just a bush or some small animal.
"It's getting dark, I shouldn't be out here anymore, " Sam said to himself and tried to retrace his steps. But everywhere looked the same and Sam teared up realizing he was lost.

The young angel walked around the many paths trying to find his way back home. But he only managed to make himself more lost, as he was walking around in circles. Eventually, he gave up and ducked behind a tree so he could cry. The forest seemed endless and the moon was rising into the sky. Sam didn't want to be here anymore, he wanted Dean to be here with him and tell him everything was okay. The young angel only managed to cry for a few minutes before he heard the rustle of something coming closer. It sounded like an animal and dangerous one by all the howling. His angel powers said it was dangerous and Sam ducked further behind the tree.

Dean had always told him to hide if anything dangerous ever came to close. The young boy was scared out of his wits as he heard the sound of footsteps. The creature finally came into view and Sam could see it looked like a normal human. But then the man changed into a black wolf and Sam began to panic again. A voice in his head was telling him to take out the threat, but his own thoughts scared him. Why would he come out and face the scary animal, it would tear him apart without a second thought. The wolf seemed to pick up on his scent and he got closer to the tree.

Sam wanted to scream as he felt the wolf's hot breath, he forced himself to remain still and placed his hand over his mouth so no sound would come out. The skinwalker smelled the unusual scent by the tree but couldn't seem to see its source. He growled and figured that his dinner must be hiding from him. The skinwalker was ready to look behind another tree when he heard a human voice call out.
"Hey, furball!" Sam recognized the voice it was Dean. He had come to save him, yet Sam still remained in his hiding place too afraid to leave.

The skinwalker growled and ran up to go attack the hunter. But with two shots of silver bullets from Dean's gun, the creature was dead. Sam was ready to go hug Dean and thank him for his rescue. But then a set of more howls filled the forest and more black wolves appeared. Apparently, the skinwalker had drawn in his pack as backup. Sam became scared again but this time he was scared for Dean. How was he going to take them all done? Dean fought them off as best as he could but they just kept coming. As soon as he killed one-two more would attack him from behind.

Sam watched the scene with unease the voice in his head growing louder.
Destroy them, destroy them all it kept saying and Sam covered his ears not wanting to listen.
"Dean watch out!" Sam called out as one was about to pounce on him and go for his throat.
"Sammy don't move from that spot, and don't come any closer!" Dean shouted. He needed to make sure Sam kept his distance because right now being close to him was the worst place Sam could be.

The alpha skinwalker jumped onto Dean pinning him to the ground and snapping near his throat. Dean wiggled and thrashed fighting the creature as best he could all the while horrible memories of Hell hounds filled his mind. Sam couldn't watch it anymore and the second Dean got clawed on the chest, he screamed at the skinwalkers demanding they leave Dean alone.
"Let go of Dean!" Sam yelled his eyes flashing like red flames even through his glasses. His jacket ripped as his wings came out and his body began to glow. The wolves tried to go up against him but Sam lifted them off the ground.

With a snap of his fingers, all of the skinwalkers exploded and their blood painted the trees. "Sammy no, " Dean said as he watched the scene. The young angel passed from the amount of power he just used and Dean ran over to him limping. It didn't take long for Sam to wake up and he was confused.
"Dean what happened I feel so cold, " Sam said to him and Dean didn't answer him. He just held Sam close overjoyed that he was alright. The memories of what happened began to flood Sam's head along with others of angels dying. They were screaming at him, begging Sam to stop.

"Dean!" Sam cried out and he grabbed Dean tighter. The memories scared him badly and he didn't understand why he had hurt others in them. "I'm sorry I'm so sorry, I killed all those wolves!" He continued to sob. "I just didn't mean to but they hurting you, " he finished still a complete mess.
"Sammy it's okay, I know it was an accident," Dean said to him. Sam continued to cling to him until he had fully calmed down.

"Am I a monster Dean?" Sam asked convinced he was after what just happened.
"No, you're not, " Dean told him. "You're an angel Sam, never think you're a monster, " he continued. The words comforted Sam and asked Dean if they could go home. Dean said yes and brought Sam back to the bunker immediately, the kid refused to leave his side after what happened.
"How did I do that?" Sam asked while he was clutching Hope and leaning on Dean for comfort.

"It was your grace, Sam, it's what gives an angel their powers, " Dean explained.
"Can I get rid of my grace?" Sam asked being completely serious.
"No Sammy that could really hurt you, " Dean protested. He had no idea what would happen if Sam lost his grace, what if he died? He couldn't go through that again.
"But I'll be human, I want to be human like you, " Sam said another set of tears running down his face. "Please Dean, I don't want to be an angel anymore, " he begged.

"Sam it's too risky, if something happened to you then I would never forgive myself, " Dean told him.
"De, " Sam began to say but was caught off when Dean hugged him tightly.
"Don't ever wish to be anything then what you are Sammy, " Dean said to him. And then kissed Sam on the forehead, similar to how a father would to his son. "I don't want you to change, I want you to always be you," he continued. Sam craved more of the father-like affection from Dean and had one of his wings rest on Dean.
"Okay Dean, " Sam said. "I promise to never change, " he continued.