Chapter 4 - Exploring

I hear my phone buzz next to me and I reach over and pick it up. Not bothering to see who is calling me, I answer. 

"Hello", I say into the phone. 

"Vi!!!", the loud voice replies. I jolt awake and recognise the voice to Lucy, one of my closest friends. 

"Hello Lucy", I say. 

"Wait did I wake you up?", she asks. 

"Yes", I reply annoyed. 

"Girl what the heck are you still doing sleeping it's like 6pm!", she says. 

"Yeah in Russia it is, but in America it's like 9 am", I tell her. 

"Oh what are you doing over there?", Lucy asks. 

"Mafia gala", I tell her, "Did you want something?". 

"Oh no nothing important I was just going to ask if you wanted to go get a drink", she tells me, "But I will let you go and get ready". 

Before I can say anything else she hangs up the phone. I groan and roll over. I look out the window that is flooding the room with light. I hear a knock at my door and myself out of bed slowly. I open the door to see Nikolai standing there with coffee and food. 

"You are amazing", I tell him. 

"I know", he replies. 

I roll my eyes at him and take a cup of coffee. I drink the brown liquid and feel it's hotness travel down my throat. We sit down on the couch and I bite into the muffin he brought as well. 

"So what happened last night?", Nikolai asks. 

"I saw my father", I tell him. 

His jaw drops for a second and he quickly picks it back up. "Umm how??", he continues to question, "Are you okay? Is he dead?". 

"Stop with the interrogation!", I tell him, "I'm fine and no he is not dead. I went to a club and Elijah called me upstairs and he was there playing a game of poker. I joined in and won. Do you want to know the worst part of it all?". He nods at me. "I didn't even get to kill anyone because I was so distracted". 

Nikolai laughs, "Aww is Viola still cranky?". He ruffles my hair and I hit his arm. I take another sip of my coffee and think back to those blue eyes. I groan in annoyance. He is so cocky and thinks everyone should just do what he wants. I look back over to Nik and see him drinking his own drink. 

"Do you still talk to Sebastian?", I ask. Before I went to live with Nikolai and his family, him my brother and Sebastian were all best friends, they were pretty much inseparable the three of them. 

"Every now and then, he is more close with your brother, but in the last year or so, they seem to have drifted", he replies. "Why?", he then asks with a curious look. 

"I saw Sebastian last night at dinner, and I don't know he seemed different", I answered, drinking my coffee. He was always cold and all that, but it seems like that is all now on crack. 

Nik sets down his coffee and takes a deep breath, "Vi, your 'death'", he says with speech marks, "Hurt him deeply, Emilia Morales was his person, he always felt like he had to protect you, and feels like he failed you and himself"

"Yeah I guess", I reply picking at my muffin. 

Nik stands up and claps his hands together. "Anyway! The gala is tomorrow so why don't forget about our mission for now and have some fun while we are, I mean we are in New York City", he says. "I say we walk around the city today and explore a little, and if you're good I may buy you an ice cream". 

"Oh Mr Volkov I am so honoured, that you will spend 3 dollars on me out of the millions you have", I reply sarcastically. He rolls his eyes and then gives me a pleading look. "Fine", I say giving in. 

Nik jumps up and pushes me into my bedroom, "Now hurry up and get ready", he tells me. 

I change into a pair of black denim shorts and a red silk singlet with lace detailing. I put my gun in the waistband on my shorts and a dagger in the back of my bra. I brush my hair and put on some gold jewellery. I slip a pair of black heels on and grab my wallet. I push open my bedroom door and see Nikolai texting away on his phone. He gets up and we walk out the hotel room to the elevator. 

"Guess who called me this morning", I say him smiling to myself. 

"I don't know, the devil?", Nikolai replies sarcastically.

"Please the devil doesn't call me, I call him", I say, "A certain girl named Lucy did". 

I look over to the tall brown headed boy and watch him blush slightly. I laugh at his reaction. Nikolai and Lucy are both clearly in love with each other but will never admit it. I understand why Nikolai hasn't yet because by admitting to his true feelings he tells the world of his weakness and Lucy would be in danger for the rest of her life. But Lucy she is just a normal girl, I don't know why she hasn't told him yet. I sometimes wish that I could share that with someone, but then I remember that if you want to feel love, you have to feel everything and I don't think that I can do that. 

"What did she want?", Nikolai asks drawing me out of  my thoughts. 

"Umm she wanted to ask if I wanted to go out for a drink", I reply, "Someone didn't tell her that I and another person would be out of the country for the next 2 weeks". I glare at Nikolai and he clears his throat. 

"I can explain", he quickly says. 

"I'm waiting", I tell him as we walk out of the hotel building onto the busy streets of New York. 

"So she may be currently avoiding me because I hinted that we should become offical", Nikolai explains, "Clearly she didn't like the idea and we got into a massive fight". 

"Ughhhh you guys are so annoying", I complain, "You both are like perfect for each other, you just need to get your shit together and get together". 

Nikolai laughs and agrees with me. He wraps his arm around my shoulder and we continue to walk through the city together. Talking the entire time about complete nonsense. Nikolai and I can always make conversation no matter the topic. I always enjoy his company and he understands that I don't like to talk about my past, so he doesn't push. 

Before we even know it, the day is almost gone and the sun is beginning to set. We both sit down  on a bench and fight over who gets to pick about where we go to dinner tonight. We do a quick thumb war to decide who gets to pick and I win. Nikolai claims that I cheated but he is just a sore loser. 

The sun has nearly finished setting and I'm left alone. Nikolai decided to go back to the hotel and try and talk to Lucy. I don't mind being alone though. I find it much easier to be alone than around people. I had a feeling that I was being watched, so I decided that I would get up. I walked around and the feeling never stopped. I glanced behind me and saw no one. I went into an alleyway and heard footsteps behind me. I pulled out my gun and turned around and pointed it towards them. 

"Hola señorita Emilia Morales"(hello miss Emilia Morales), the voice said still hidden in the shadows. 

"Lamento decepcionar pero ella está muerta y yo no soy ella"(sorry to disappoint but she is dead and I am not her), I reply shooting my gun at him. I hear the body fall to the ground and I walk over to it. I see a lifeless body lying there. I don't recognise the man. 

I go to put my gun away when I hear some more footsteps. I groan and go to turn around. My body is then slammed into the wall and I grip my weapon tighter. I feel a strong grip on my throat put my pressure, choking me slightly. I open my eyes to be met with a pair of blue ones. 

"Hello love", he says with a smirk. 

(1433 WORDS)