S E V E N T E E N

B A I L E Y

Me, Gi, Kyla and Aiyana are gathered on the couch watching the Kentucky vs Duke game. The whole game as been a nail biter and I don't think we have spoken more than a couple words to each other the whole time. As the minutes counted down on the clock my heart started to pick up. We couldn't lose the first game of the season, especially not to Duke. My eyes stay trained on the dirty blonde who plays more minutes in the game than anyone else. Out of everyone on the team he would take the loss the hardest and most personal. Losing this early in the season wouldn't mean much in the long run not when it comes time for March, but Ty would never let it go.

I feel Aiyana shift next to me but when I look over her eyes are still focused on the screen, no doubt watching Ethan as much as I have been watching Tyler.

But Ethan is her boyfriend.

Ethan is her boyfriend Bailey.

Tyler is your friend. Just like Cole and Reece. So why do my eyes keep wandering back to him every time?

There is 9 seconds left on the clock and Andre is on the foul line after making a 2-pointer. After he makes it, we are currently leading by 3. There seems to be no air left in the apartment at this point, or maybe none of us are able to breathe by this point.

Duke is dribbling down the court and just as the player throws it up into the air I know it is going to be a close one. I stand from the couch and while the ball could only have been in the air for 2 seconds, it feels like hours have gone by.

All it took was two seconds for Duke to sink a three pointer.

Two seconds for Kentucky to lose their first game of the season.

I hear Aiyana gasp next to me and Kyla shoots up screaming at the TV. Gi stays silent on the couch, probably in shock and I fall back trying to grasp how we could have lost.

"Well tonight is not going to be fun when the boys get back" Aiyana is the first to speak and while I know that there is no truer statement I couldn't help the laugh that came out of my mouth.

"Yeah, I don't envy you at all" I reply back to her.

The boys will catch the first flight back tonight and I definitely don't want to be anywhere near that plane when it lands.

After Gi and Kyla had gone to be it is just me and Aiyana still sitting on the couch. Both of us still in a state of shock. And as the hours passed by, I couldn't help but think of Tyler and about how was feeling after losing the game.

And when it hits about 12:30 AM, Aiyana's phone goes off signaling a text message.

"It's Ethan, he said they should be landing and getting back to the parking lot in about 30 minutes. I should probably get going so I can make sure I am there in enough time to pick him up." She slowly gets up the couch, stretching as she goes before looking down at me.

"You coming with?" My eyes snap to hers.

"Why would I come with?"

She starts laughing at me and she moves further away from the couch and to the door to get her shoes and coat.

"Oh I don't know, maybe cause you've been waiting up with me all night and earlier I know for a fact the only person you were watching was a boy who's name starts with a Ty and ends with a ler. I bet he wouldn't be opposed to seeing you either."

He just lost the first game of the season, I doubt he wants to see anybody right about now. But that doesn't stop me from getting up off the couch. Maybe he could use some company, a shoulder to cry on.