Chapter 18

"What is she doing here?" Fie asked, glaring daggers at Calix. He was leaning against the wall farthest from her, his arms crossed. Gart was standing beside him, unsure how to comfort him.

Calix was sitting in a worn chair that sat in the corner. Her hair was in a sloppy braid, her eyes darted around the room, almost as if she was paranoid. Alice and Micah sat on a couch just as worn as the chair.

Everyone waited for Calix to speak, but she sat there, eyeing each of them and lingering on Fie. "Calix? Why are you here?" Alice asked softly.

Fie scuffed - loudly. Alice side-eyed him. What was his problem?

"I saw you leave." Calix was answering Alice but was looking at Fie. He shot off the wall.

"We know and you just HAD to blabber about it!" The daggers were coming in waves now.

"I didn't tell, your father was told you were gone and he asked me about it and-" 

"You told him! Which means you did tell!"

"Fie! I didn't want to be I had to!" She sat up in her chair. The desperation was like a storm in her voice.

"You were just out to save yourself!"

Calix deflated like a balloon. "I wasn't, but you won't believe me anyways." 

"Why should I? You've betrayed my trust before."

"I know and I'm soo sorry." Calix was looking at Fie intensely.

"I can't forgive you." Fie said sadly. Gart reached out and grabbed his hand. "I need a minute." Fie mumbled and walked out of the room. Gart followed, wanting to comfort him.

Alice looked over at Calix. She had always been so kind and motherly towards her, she couldn't imagine anyone hating her but Fie did. What did she do to him? Calix caught her looking. "I'm here because I want to help."

Alice stared. Could she help them? Would Fie let her? If she helped then the plan would still work, she could take Alac's spot and he could rest. It could work. "Why?" Alice asked.

"I know Ladomir and," She looked down at her hands. "I helped him overpower your father."

Alice jumped up. This woman who was so kind and soft helped Ladomir kill her father? Alice's veins filled with heat. Micah reached out and put a hand on her arm. Alice tried to shake him off but his gripped tightened. "You helped him?!" Alice yelled.

Calix's head snapped up at Alice's rage. "I had to!"

"Really? Why? No one has to do anything! It was your choice!"

"He's my brother!"

Alice felt like she had been punched in the stomach. All the fight seeped out of her and she melted to the couch. "Your brother?" She whispered.

Calix nodded.

Alice would do anything for Gart, if she had been in the same position would she have done the same? No, but she would have helped her brother in some way. This changed the plan, if both Fie and Calix were to help would they be okay with killing Ladomir? 

Would she be okay with it?

"You've been a well kept secret then." Micah said. Alice had forgotten he was there.

"Ladomir didn't want anyone to know." Calix replied sadly.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, he was only a good brother when we were young. Power and anger have changed him and- and he needs to be stopped." Tears had started to roll down her cheeks.

"How do you suggest we stop him?" Alice asked. She needed the answer to be different then what she thought. She didn't think anyone would be okay with killing him. It wouldn't be justice if they killed him like he killed their father.

"Lock him in the darkest and most well-hidden cell."

Alice breathed a sigh of relief. How had she not thought of that? Why had she thought death was the only way? Was she just as bad as Ladomir for thinking death was the only way?

She pushed the thoughts aside. She could think this through later, when she was alone. "I have a plan that could work. Would you be willing to help us?" Alice asked.

"Yes, of course." Calix looked up, above Alice. "Is that alright?"

Alice turned and looked behind her. There stood Fie and Gart. Oops.

"OF course." Fie gritted out. He looked down at Alice and sent a single dagger at her.

Sorry. She mouthed.

Fie shook his head and walked out. "Can I show you which room you can stay in?" Micah asked.

"Of course, thank you." Calix answered. They got up and walked out of the room. Gart came and sat beside Alice. "What was your original plan?" He asked.

"To kill Ladomir." She whispered. To her surprise he didn't yell at her.

"I wanted him dead too, but that's wrong Alice."

"I know. Instead we're going to imprison him."

"I hope that works."

"Me too. Why did you want to kill him?" Alice asked.

"Cause he killed dad and for a little while I thought he deserved the same fate." Gart confessed.

Alice thought about that. Is that why she had wanted him dead? Or was it for a different reason? "I'm going to head to bed." Gart announced, getting up from the couch.

"Night"

Shortly after Alice got up and visited Alac for a bit. He was fast asleep, letting a snore escape every now and then. Alice didn't want to disturb him, so she quietly closed the door and went to get ready for bed.

Tomorrow they plan.