Chapter 9

The first day had been uneventful. The only person to visit her had been the lady. Whos name Alice had still failed to get. The lady didn't tell her much, but she was nice and Alice had asked if it was hard to be nice in this town.

"No, everyone is kind mostly, except for the king and his guards." She had told Alice.

"What of Prince Fie?" Alice had asked.

"He is conflicted, he is nice but wants his father to be proud of him." After that she had left and Alice was left to wonder about Fie.

Alice had also discovered that there were guards outside her door. She didn't know if they switched off or how often, she had tried to listen but she had been caught. It was like they saw into the room.

Alice had looked around the room some more and found that one of the doors led to a closet and the other a bathroom. She had taken a bath and she hadn't wanted to enjoy it, but the water was warm and the scented bubble bath had smelt so nice. She had fallen asleep in the bath but her dream was of Gart being tortured. 

She didn't know what was happening to him and when she had asked she had been told to not worry. Which only made her worry more.

Now she was sitting at the window. She had dragged the chair from the vanity over. She had her head resting on her knee and was watching the people go about their day. Had life also been like this? Were they scared?

Knock Knock! Instead of the door opening right away like it had been, no one came in. "Come in?" Alice called, lifting her head and turning to the door. 

She had expected the lady -she really needed to ask her her name- but who came in instead was Fie. 

As he walked in he held himself high and prideful, puffing his chest out and walking with propose. The moment the door closed all that was swept away and he seemed to hunch in on himself.

"What do you want?" Alice barked.

"I know I'm probably the last person you want to talk to but...." He trailed off, examining her.

"What? Stop looking at me!" Alice jumped up and started toward him. That snapped him out of it.

"No! I wasn't looking at you like...." He shrunk under her gaze. Alice liked that she could terrify him. It could be useful.

"Then what?"

"You just look so similar to Gart but yet so different."

"Well he is my twin, so I would hope I look like him. What did you come here for?" 

"Well Father said that we should announce our wedding to the people." Fie took a step back, most likely expecting Alice to lash out and explode.

"It's actually happening?" Alice asked, her voice just barely above a whisper. Fie nodded. "Why do you need me to came with you to announce it?"

"Father wants the people to see who I am marrying and wants them to know that your.... um...... not going to save them." He looked past her shoulder.

"What?! No mark my words-" Fie jumped back as Alice thrust her hands at his chest. "I will save them if it takes forever." Fie was backed up against the doors and Alice didn't plan to hurt him, just scare him.

"I.... want to help." Fie whispered. Alice almost didn't hear him, but she did.

"Excuse me?"

"I want to help." This time he said it with more conviction.

"How?" Alice eyed him, she didn't believe him but she wouldn't turn down help.

"I don't know but I'm sure we-" Alice gave him a look. "-You can figure something out."

Alice nodded. "Maybe you can help, but for now I guess we should do as were told. Is there anything else you need?"

"Well Calix will came and help you into your outfit for the announcement, that will be happening shortly and I believe-"

"Wait, who's Calix?" Alice asked.

"Oh? You haven't met her? She's supposed to be delivering your food."

"Oh, I've met her, I just, keep........forgetting to ask her name." Alice admitted sheepishly. 

"Ok, well that's understandable you have had a rough day." Fie reached for the door.

"Oh wait!" Alice called out as Fie started to leave.

"Yes?"

"Do you know what... how Gart is?" Alice cracked her knuckles and ran her hands up and down her arms. Fie took his hand off the door, stepped closer to Alice. He stopped and looked away from her. "I've tried to visit his dreams but.... he hasn't slept and I haven't been allowed to see him."

"Visit his dreams?" Now Fie looked at her and his face lit up a little.

"I can project myself into someone's dreams and talk with them, I've being doing it with Gart."

"Why?" Alice had never heard of anything like this. She knew some people were born special but it was rare, and why Fie would talk with Gart she didn't understand.

"At first it was because my Father told me too, and then it just continued." He shrugged his shoulders. 

Alice wanted to voice a question but it wasn't her place to ask. She really wanted to though. "I should go before anyone questions where I am." Fie said and started for the door.

"Yeah, bye."

"Bye." Fie walked out. He was nicer than Alice had expected, she didn't know if he had an alternate motives, but she wanted  to trust and believe him. 

Alice rushed for the door, a thought popping up that she hadn't thought of in all the chaos. She swung open the doors and the guards reached out to stop her from leaving the room. Fie turned around startled by the bang. 

"What happened to Alac?" Alice called out.

"He..." Fie stammered. "He is not in good shape." Fie turned around and rushed down the hall. The guards ushered Alice back into her room and she sank to her knees.

He was alive, but it didn't sound like he was doing well. How had she not thought of him sooner?