Chapter 4

Tap, tap. Gart tried to open his eyes, but they were as heavy as rocks. He rolled on to his back and finally, slowly got his eyes open. He stared up at the stained ceiling of his room. Had he heard that noise or did he-? Tap tap.

So he hadn't imagined it. Gart rolled out of bed and went to the door of his room. He eased the door open a crack and saw Alac standing there. "Morning Alac, how can I help you?" Gart asked as he opened the door wider.

"I am heading downstairs for breakfast, if you would like to join," he offered.

"Sure, let me get dressed. Will Alice be joining us?" Gart asked, rubbing sleep out of his eye. Alice wouldn't miss breakfast if she had any say in it. 

"Yes, but she will be awhile." Gart nodded. Alac stood there as if debating something, than shook his head and walked away toward the stairs. Gart watched him and after a moment he eased the door closed and went to get dressed.

**

Gart and Alac sat at a table in the corner by the stairs, so whenever someone was coming down they were the first to know. It was no surprise to Gart when Alice appeared at the bottom of the stairs, he could identify her light footsteps anywhere.

"Good morning," Alice greeted as she joined them. Gart mumbled something as he shovelled food into his mouth, and Alac nodded at her, not taking his eyes off the door of the inn. "Can I ask you something Alac?" Alice asked. Alac slowly tore his gaze from the door and gave Alice his attention. "Were you talking to someone last night?" Alacs face flicked through a set of emotions, but Alice wasn't quick enough to catch any of them.

"No, why do you ask?"

"Well I thought I heard you talking to someone last night, but I guess I was so tired that I imagined it." Alice ran a hand through her damp hair. "What's there to eat?" She asked, eyeing Gart's French toast.

"Here." Alac handed her a paper with the name of the food on it. Alice looked through the list and finally decide on Aloo paratha. When she got it she found that it looked like a burnt pancake, and when she bit into it she found that it tasted like bread and mashed potatoes. Alice let a moan of delight escape. "This is really good," she told her brother. "You should try some."

"No thanks, this French toast is amazing and I am so full." Gart replied sitting back in his chair and rubbing his hand on his belly. Alac chuckled. He looked at the clock on the wall and his eyes went wide. "I'm sorry children but it appears that it is time for me to go meet someone." He got up and grabbed his coat that was draped on his chair.

"Who are you meeting?" Alice asked, her fork stopped in mid-air.

"A friend. I will be back by lunch, take care and don't get into trouble." With that he rushed to the door and left. The door closed with a soft whoosh. Gart rose from the table and was heading toward the stairs when Alice called after him. "Where are you going?"

"To get a coat, then I'm going to explore. Wanna join?" Alice nodded and got up from the table.

**

Alac threw his hood up. He got the coat as a birthday present from his wife. It was a grey button-up, it was well worn and loved. Everyone told Alac he should get a new one but he couldn't part with it. It was the last thing his wife had given him. 

He walked through the market where sellers were finishing setting up and opening. "Have a loved one? Show them your love with this fine jewelry!"

"Come check out the finest produce in this here town!" Alac walked past them all. He know where he was going. He'd promised the former king that when the time came he would retrieve the items. 

Alac obeyed the new king and he knew that what he was doing would get his head chopped off, but he needed to do this. It was the right thing to do. He'd made a promise to his king- his friend- that when the time came he would protect the children.

Alice and Gart knew nothing of fighting, politics or war. Their mother had done nothing to prepare them- hadn't even told her children where they come from, who they are- how were children supposed to save a kingdom? They should be kept away, let adults fight this war.

He almost walked past the building, lost in his thoughts. He stood before the door of the shop- the pawn shop- and walked in.  A bell chimed when the door opened, the space was small, dark and crowded. "Be there in a second," called a voice behind the counter. Alac navigated his way to the counter, careful to not knock into anything.

 "What can I do for you?" Asked a boy about eighteen who popped up from behind the counter. He had red amber hair, his face was still quite childish and he had green eyes.

"That day was beautiful." Alac said. The boy looked at him curiously, then said slowly;

"When the raven fell?" Alac gave a small nod and the boy ushered him behind the counter into a back room.

**

"Do you know what they unlock?" asked Alice. She ran her hand over a row of keys, admiring the way they shone when the sun hit them just right.

"Not all of them, but some unlock doors, hidden boxes and just some random stuff." The vendor answered. Alice couldn't help but notice how beautiful she was. She had dark skin that her white hair stood out against. Around her rose colored eyes and mouth were laugh wrinkles that added to her face.

"Where did you get them?" Alice asked. Out of the corner of her eye she could see her brother admiring one key in particular.

"Here and there. Sometimes people ask me to buy them other times they just appear." Someone was waving at the vendor trying to get her attention. She excused herself and went to help the buyer.

Alice went over to her brother. "There's something about this key," he said as she approached. She looked at the key. Its head was in the shape of a crown and the leg was long and simple. It had a reddish color to it and shone like a star when the sun hit it.

"It's just a key," Alice told him.

"But, it just feels like, I don't know how to describe it. Can I buy it?" he asked.

"You don't even know what it unlocks."

"I know, but...." He trailed off. Alice let out a sigh, she couldn't believe what she was about to say.

"Fine get it. Its a waste of good coin though."