Chapter 13

"What's the plan?" Gart asked in way of greeting.

Fie had just stepped into his dream and Gart didn't want to waste anytime. 

"You've been assigned to laundry?" He stated it more as a statement than a question. Gart nodded. "Take my hand." Fie said, holding his hand out to Gart. Gart reached out and grabbed his hand.

"Where are we going?"

"To your sisters dream."

"You can do that?" All Fie did was smile.

Gart watched as his dream land vanished. First the ground melted away under their feet, then the outlines of the mountains disappeared and finally the sky and its colors faded away. In its place was total darkness. The only reassure that he was okay was Fie's hand in his. "Just wait, its taking me... longer to get into... Alice's dream." 

Gart stayed quiet. Was it hard to get into someone's dream? He squeezed Fie's hand for reassurance and support. In return he could feel Fie give a small smile.

Slowly, a hallway materialized around them. Wait- this is our hallway. Gart thought as he looked around. Dropping Fie's hand he walked towards his sister's door.

"Wait." Fie panted behind him.

Gart turned around. "Are you okay?" His voice was laced with concern. Had it been a bad idea to try to come here?

Fie shook his head. "It takes a lot to get into someone's dreams for the first time and a lot more to bring someone else." He had his hands on his knees and his face turned toward the ground.

"I'm sorry." Gart said, walking back to Fie and bending down to look at his face. "You didn't have to do this."

Fie shook his head. "No, I did. You and Alice need to see each other and it's the safest way to talk."

"Thank you." Gart reached out and placed his hand on one of Fie's. Fie nodded. They stood there while Fie catched his breath. 

"I'm good to go." They stood up and walked toward the door. The door - unsurprisingly - was closed, just like it always was at home.

"Who should-?" Gart was cut off as Fie's hand connected with the wood.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

They stood there and waited. Gart looked at Fie. What if she didn't answer? 

Creak!

Gart looked at the door as it was slowly opened and he finally saw his sisters face. He didn't know how but Alice looked old. Like she'd been forced to grow up and deal with the worlds problem, and maybe she had. But she also looked like she hadn't slept or as if she was always worrying.

At first Alice didn't react, but when she did she laughed. A high pitched laugh that was unlike her normal laugh. "My minds playing tricks on me." She said after she was done laughing, and then she started to close the door.

Fie stuck his hand out and grabbed it. "Alice." He said her name in a way that commanded attention. "We're really here."

She stopped trying to close the door, but didn't open it anymore. "How?" She asked, her face gave away that she didn't believe him. Oh, how Gart wanted to reach out and hug her and never let go.

"I can project myself into others dreams, and sometimes I can bring others in."

Alice raised a brow. She turned to Gart. "Is it really you?" She asked in a soft voice that broke Garts heart. 

He nodded, too choked up to use words. She opened the door and barreled herself into Gart, wrapping her arms around him. He wrapped his arms around her and held her close. "I missed you." She whispered into his ear.

"I missed you too."

They stayed like that for awhile. Neither wanting to leave the other. When it was just them the questions and worries melted away, everything was okay as long as they were together.

Fie coughed and they reluctantly let go. Alice lead them into her bedroom and sat on the bed. Gart sat beside her and Fie went and sat on top of her desk. They all stared at each other, none of them sure how to start.

Finally Gart broke the quiet. "Do you have a plan?"

Alice nodded. "I do..."

"But?" Gart prompted.

"It has to take place before two weeks today."

"Why?" Gart asked. He tried to think if anything important was coming up. Was it almost Mom's birthday? Were they trying to save the kingdom as a present for her? No, there was something else... something he already knew.

Alice and Fie shared a look. Gart looked between them. "Why?" He asked again.

Fie looked at his lap, and rubbed his neck. "We're getting married that day."

For a moment the sentence didn't click. They weren't getting married, they'd just met and were still figuring out whatever was happening between them. Gart was about to ask when he remembered what Calix told him. "Oh." He blinked. "Right, I already knew that."

 Alice and Fie looked at him.

"You knew?" Fie asked.

"Yeah."

Still, they just stared at him. "Alice?"

He grabbed her hand.

"It's all his fault." She said, venom dripping off her voice.

Fie looked up sharply. "My fault? How?"

"You're the one who kidnapped us!"

"I-I did but that has noting to do with getting married!"

"It has everything to do with getting married!" Her voice was getting louder, and it echoed off the walls. "If you hadn't kidnapped us we wouldn't be getting married!"

"That was my fathers idea. Not mine." His voice was cold. He stood up and walked to the door. "Come get me when you're ready to go Gart." Then he walked out.

"That was uncalled for Alice." Gart said immediately.

"What? No, no. It was totally called for!" She defended.

"How?"

"I- he-  if he hadn't kidnapped us this wouldn't be happening!" She shouted.

"That's, yeah, okay. I see your point but he's wanting to help us now Alice."

"Look, Gart I know you trust him, but I'm just not there yet. He did somethings that were bad and I get that he wants to help us, I'm just not fully there in believing him." She looked at Gart and saw how hurt he was.

"Are you saying you don't trust him? Or me?"

"Gart, you know I'm saying him." She pleaded.

"Yeah, but if it had been the other way around I would have trusted you and not doubted him."

"Gart..." The hurt was evident in her voice.

"If the plan is to work you need to trust both of us." He didn't want to do this to his sister, but she needed to trust him for once. It had always been him trusting her, why couldn't she do the same?

"Gart." She cried agian.

He shook his head at her and got up.

Alice jumped out and grabbed his hand. "Please don't go. I need you."

He looked at her, trying not to let the tears fall or his voice crack. "And I need you..." He didn't say the three words but Alice knew they were there.

She hung her head and let him go.

Gart walked out of the room. He saw Fie standing with his arms open and Gart walked into the embrace.

When he opened his eyes they were back in his dreams. "I hate how I had to do that." He whispered.

"I know."

"Why can't she trust me? I thought she did."

"She does... Its me she doesn't."

"But we need you... I need you."

"I know."