Chapter 14

Alice hated herself.

No, not  herself. How she reacted, that's what she hated.

Why was she so head strong? Why couldn't she trust Gart?

She knew the answer, but she wasn't ready to admit it to herself.

She was still in her dreams, she wasn't sure if they would come back. Before when she dreamed it was dark and empty, but tonight her dream started like that, then she felt the need for space and her room had appeared. Then someone knocked at her door and she thought her mind was playing tricks.

But it wasn't and she had driven them away.

Alice looked around at her room. The light in the room had dimmed since Fie and Gart left. How long had they been gone? She laid back on her bed, grabbed her pillow and put it to her face. She let out a primal and angry scream.

The air in the space changed.

"That's quite the scream."

Alice froze. That sounded like Fie. Alice slowly took the pillow off her face. Please be a mind trick. She lifted her head and saw Fie sitting back on the desk.

She gulped.

They sat there, neither saying a word. What could she possibly say after earlier?

Sorry.

"Look-" Alice said, sitting up. "About my outburst earlier." She willed him to say something but he just sat there, looking at her. "I do trust Gart, its just my mother said-"

"You know, I never knew my mother." He interrupted.

"Oh."

"But I had my dad and he taught me a lot, maybe not always the best stuff." He looked away at this.

"I'm sorry."

"Me too."

Alice hesitated but went ahead. "Before me and Gart left mom told us to be careful of who we trust. And I guess I feel like Gart forgot that, and normally I'm very trusting so this is hard for me."

"Did you trust someone and they betrayed your trust?" Fie asked, leaning forward toward her.

"No." She whispered.

"So why can't you trust me?"

Alice looked up. "Believe me I want to, but my mom."

"Do you know what the first thing my dad taught me about fighting?"

Alice shook her head.

"He told me to always trust my gut. So what's yours telling you?" He leaned back to an upright position.

"To...to..." She knew what her gut was telling her, but she wasn't sure what would happen if she listened to it. She didn't want to go against her mother's wishes. She closed her eyes and took a big breath. "To trust you."

When she opened her eyes he was gone.

***

"The plan is simple." Alice was standing at the desk, a piece of paper before her. 

After Fie had left Alice thought he wasn't coming back. But he did and he had brought Gart. Alice had learnt right away that Gart was upset with her. She had apologized over and over again but he wouldn't hear any of it.

"Tell me why." He had said.

"Because I've always been the one in charge and it's hard to give you some control." She had answered. Gart had just nodded. He was still mad at her and Alice for once didn't know what to do about it. He'd never been this mad at her before.