Chapter 8

A/n: Please be aware that there is talk of suicide/depression in this chapter. Its small and doesn't go deep but it's still there. In case that makes anyone uncomfortable. (At the end)

Alice's knees scraped the floor as she was flung at the feet of the king.

The king sat on a throne of what looked like pure gold, the room they were in was dark and cold. The king didn't seem to notice. He looked down at them with his dark eyes, his cropped black hair hiding under his black crown of stone. "Here are Alice and Gart Rockshade, your Highness." Fie says, stepping forward and bowing deeply.

"Ah, these are the children of Rosa and Steven?" The kings voice felt like ice. Alice resisted the urge to shudder. Why did Fie use that last name? That wasn't what their last name was.

"Yes Father. What shall we do with them?" 

"Send the boy down to the dungeon, we will have a use for him. It is the girl that is important." He waved his hand and guards appeared seemly out of nowhere at Garts sides. They grabbed him and dragged him away to a door at the side of the room.

"MMHH! UAH!" Alice screamed her brothers name through the gag as he was dragged away. He fought against his ropes and the people dragging him but it was no use.  Alice fought at her bonds until another guard appeared and forced her to still. "MMGHH!" Alice tried once more as her brother disappeared through the doorway. The guards hands were rough and his nails dug into her skin, she tried to shake him off but his grip just tightened the more she fought.

"You are a feisty one." The king remarked as he stood from his throne. Alice glared at him. "Take her gag out, I want to hear her speak." The guard moved, while still keeping a grip on her arm, he removed the gag.

"You are horrible, give me my brother back."

"Not yet, I have a favor to ask of you." He now stood over her, his shadow overtaking her.

"What makes you think I'll do anything you say?"

"I have your brother." Of course, all villains used siblings to their advantage, how did Alice not see this coming?

"And what will you have me do?" She asked, regret and anger on each word.

"Marry my son."

"What?" Fie exclaimed as Alice spit "No." in the kings face.

"Why you two would make a cute couple. Plus if my son marries the actual royal blood then his word will go unquestioned and the kingdom will really be ours."

"Whos to say I won't interfere or kill him?" Alice asked.

"If you don't marry him, stay in his shadow and obey every command given to you than say goodbye to your brother." He gripped Alice's face and squeezed. "Understood?"

"Y...es...... your majesty." She gasped. He threw her face to the ground and stalked back to his throne.

"Take her to her room." Alice was still recovering her breath as the hands around her forced her up and pushed her through the room and to the doorway. As she was being pushed out she heard the king speak to his son.

"You will marry her and you....." 

**

Alice was shoved into the room and before she could get her bearings the door was closed and locked behind her with a click! 

The room she was in was covered in pink and gold. The bed frame was gold while the sheets and blankets and pillow covers were pink. The walls were pink, with gold and white accents. The vanity across from the bed was pink while the mirrors frame was gold. 

The three things that weren't pink or gold were the floor, the window pane and the doors around the room.

Alice walked to the window. The window looked down upon a part of the town, it was still dark out so the streets were empty. Alice didn't realize that all that had happened hadn't taken all night, but most likely only took an hour.  Alice tried to open the window but it wouldn't budge

As the adrenaline running through her wore off she slipped under the covers of the bed and thought of how bad an idea it was to rest, but she was so tired and all she wanted was to sleep. 

Alice bolted up in bed, she heard the knock but it had sounded so much louder than a knock. "Come in." She said, her voice was raspy and sore. She looked around at the now brightly lit room.

The door swung open and in walked a woman, her dark hair was tied into braids and twisted into a bun. Her skin was dark and the smile on her face seemed to make her shine. She was about Alice's height but a little chubbier. She was pushing a cart that had a delicious smelling  aroma around it. "Good morning honey bun!" She said in a too cheerful voice.

"What's so good about it?" Alice asked, sliding out of the bed.

"Why that you and your brother have came to save the kingdom!" She moved around the cart, putting finishing touches on the food.

"Yeah, sure. As you can see we're doing a great job." Alice said in her most snarky voice.

"It's just a bump in the road, everything will turn out fine."

"How can you say that?" 

"Because I need to look on the bright side. Sweet heart, if I didn't look on the bright side I wouldn't be here right now." She ushered Alice to the cart and handed her a fork.

"What do you mean?"

"When this all started I was your age and I wasn't in the best head space. Was ready to stop...." The lady looked out the window and walked to it, running a hand down the glass. "But my brother stopped me, and he helped me dearly."

"Oh..." Alice didn't know what to say, so she turned to the food and grabbed an apple slice that she shoved in her mouth. They stood there in silence for awhile. When the lady was finally done staring out the window she turned and walked out the door. "I'll be back for the cart shortly, don't worry about making a mess." She called over her shoulder.

Alice nodded meekly. She had know that people killed themselves, some had done it in her town, but she had never known of someone to stop and start looking on the bright side. It made Alice smile and gave her some hope back.