Chapter 10

The cell was as wide as Gart was tall. Three of the four walls were brick and the fourth was the door. On one wall was the bed, which was hard as a rock. On the other wall was a toilet and sink. 

The dungeon was pretty empty from what Gart could tell. He hadn't heard any noises, but he didn't think he had been down there long. There was no light from outside, the only light source were the candles on the walls outside the cell.

Since he had been thrown in here he had tried not to sleep. He didn't want to chance seeing Fie in his dreams. He never should have trusted him, never should have kept the visits a secret. Now Alac could be dead and he didn't know what had happened to Alice.

That was another reason he didn't want to sleep. He didn't want to hear Alacs screams and have dreams of what could have happened to him. He also didn't want to see what could happen to Alice. So he stared at the walls and ceiling of his cell, trying not to think at all. But that was a very hard thing to do.

A cart rolled to his cell and stopped. He rotated his head so that when the slot opened he'd see the person. The slot thudded opened and a pair of blue eyes stared at him. "Hello, you must be Gart." The eyes said.

He only nodded in response. "I have your food, but first tell me how you plan to get out of there."

"I don't." 

"Don't plan to get out? Or don't have a plan?" The eyes narrowed, expecting thee former. He didn't have a plan, but he also never really thought of trying to get out.

"I guess both."

"Well, you cannot expect to save the kingdom from in there."

"I- how do you know about me wanting to save the kingdom?" He questioned.

"I've talked to Alice." Gart jumped up to the slot.

"Really? Is she ok? Is she hurt?"

"She's fine, just has to marry the prince." The eyes blinked slowly, waiting for him to react.

"Prince Fie?" The eyes bobbed up and down. This is not what he had been expecting. Why did Alice have to marry Fie? Was Fie the one who decided that?

"I suggest you get some sleep tonight, might help you clear somethings up." The eyes turned away and Gart saw the back of the lady. Her hair was braided and up in a bun, her neck was dark. 

Gart realized that this lady knew more than she was letting on. "What's your name?"

"Calix." She turned back to him and opened another slot lower to the ground and slid a tray onto it. "Enjoy." With that she closed the eye slot and he heard the cart rolling away further down the hall.

He grabbed the tray and sat back on his bed. He took the bread and bit a piece off. Calix could help him, she seemed to know more than she was letting on. Gart thought she might be hinting that he should sleep and talk to Fie but she couldn't know about that. Could she? She had probably meant that he sleep and think about everything.

Gart sat in silence while he ate. When he was done he slid the tray through the slot back to the outside world. At least one of them was out of the cell. Gart couldn't help but think.

He laid back on his bed, letting all his thoughts jumble and mess together. Without knowing Gart slowly fell to sleep, needing it more than he ever had before.