Chapter 15

Fie woke that morning with a mission.

He set out into the dark halls. Really? Dad needs to add some candles in this hall. He walked with purpose and made sure to keep his face impassive. He needed to act princely if he was to get away with treason.

He walked past the servants and maids who were just doing their jobs, and bowed when he passed. Please don't. But he couldn't say that. Princely.

He walked into the dining hall where a table for fifty sat - they never had enough guests to fill the whole table - and was surprised when he saw his father sitting at the head of the table.

"Oh." His mask slipped. He quickly attempted to hide his surprise before his father saw. "Good morning Father." He said coolly.

"Good morning Fie." His father bellowed. Fie waited for his father to tell him what he did wrong. "What are you doing sleeping in?"

Fie scrambled for an excuse. "I couldn't fall asleep and when I did-"

"And your servant didn't wake you?"

Fie had dismissed Ronald from waking him. He felt bad that he had to do that, and Fie had started to wake up on time. Projecting oneself was very tiring, it must have caused him to sleep in.

"I'm sorry Father, I was just dreaming about mom." He lied. He knew that when he brought his mom into the conversation Fie was almost always let free. He watched his fathers face careful but didn't see a reaction.

"I could see how that would cause you to sleep in. Join me."

Fie almost let out a relived sigh until he remember who was with him. Don't give away your thoughts. He pulled out a chair a few seats away from his father and sat. "What is for breakfast?" Fie asked.

"I told the chef to surprise me." Oh, so fruit and pancakes.

Fie nodded. He never knew what to say to his father, so they sat in silence.

"Do you think she will listen?" His father asked. Fie stared at his father than realizing what he was asking shook himself. Mask.

"I think she will as long as we have her brother." He replied coolly.

"Have you visited anyone's dreams recently?"

Fie was taken aback. His father knew of his powers but never asked unless he needed them. "Not since the boy the first time." He lied. Gart. I'm a liar. Gart. Liar.

"I want you to visit the girls, without her knowing and see if she's planning something."

"Yes Father." 

Fie was glad when the food came. Food meant no talking and no talking meant no pretending. He hated having to act like this. He wanted to escape, have a normal life. Maybe have a life with Gart.

When he was done he excused himself and hurried out, but not to fast. He walked down the dim hallways looking for Calix. She was the head maid and would know about Gart's schedule. Every time he came across someone they would bow and he would ask if they knew where Calix was, each time it was either no, or check his fiancés room. He hated that they meant Alice, he didn't want to marry her. He liked Gart.

Every since he had first met Gart he had liked him. He didn't know why, he had just felt this pull and he knew that he was in trouble.

Fie shook himself out of his thoughts. Focus, be present. He headed toward Alice's room.

Before he turned down the hallway Calix came out of it. "Oh! Prince Fie!" She chirped, and hurried into a bow.

"Calix! Just the person I'm looking for." He grimaced, he hated her.

"Really? May I ask why? Does the king need me?" She asked eagerly.

"No." Her face fell. Fie gritted his teeth. "I was actually curious about the prisoner and his job."

"What about?" She asked, raising a brow. Be careful.

"When does he leave his cell? I'd like to talk to him on his walk to work."

"I'm not sure I can tell you." She brushed past him. He grabbed her arm.

"Calix." His voice had a knife sharp edge. "Tell me or I will tell about you and my father."

Her face shifted from calm, to surprise to shame in the time it took for a rain drop to fall. "Ten thirty in the morning and four at night." She whispered. "Takes two minutes." she added when he didn't let go.

"Thank you Calix. Your secret is safe." He let go of her and smoothed out his outfit and hair. She scurried away from him.

Now all he had to do was tell Alice and Gart.