Chapter 7

"Can you be quiet please?" Gart asked from where he was hiding on the couch beneath a pillow.

"No, I'm trying to finish breakfast before Alac gets up." Alice replied as she started cooking the eggs. "You're the one who choose to sleep on the couch."

"I don't think I had a choice." Gart mumbled.

"Well I tried to be quiet. Why don't you set the table?" Alice could hear Gart grunt in anger, but she also could tell he was getting up to help.

"Where are the plates and utensils?" Gart asked, walking into the kitchen.

"I'm not all that sure, I only looked until I found what I needed. The forks and knives might be in that row of drawers." Alice pointed and switched to flipping the bacon over. Gart went and rummaged through the drawers until he found the forks and knifes. Alice had been wrong about where they were. Then he went and started to search the cupboards for the plates.

Once the table was set up and Alice was done cooking they sat down and waited for Alac. "Why is he sleeping so late? He never slept this late on the way here." Alice complained to her brother, slapping his hand when he reached for some bacon.

"Well he did say he wasn't going to be back until noon." Gart told his sister, cradling his hand like it was broken.

"What?" 

"Oh, right. Well he woke me up before you started making breakfast and said he was leaving, and to not expect him back until noon."

"And you let me believe he was still sleeping?" Alice's eyes narrowed.

"Well not intentionally, I just forgot and then remembered. I was half asleep when he told me!" Gart defended himself, writhing under his sisters glare. 

Without breaking eye contact Alice grabbed the bacon and pulled it close to her and away from Gart. "No bacon for you." She grabbed a piece and ate it while he watched.

The front door swung open and Alac walked in with another man trailing behind him. "Alice, Gart I'd like you to-" He stopped mid-sentence and mid-step when he saw Gart stretching across the table for a plate of bacon. When Gart spotted them, he rushed to stand up and look presentable.

"Sorry Alac, just um..." Gart looked between the bacon and his sister.

"Having breakfast. Care to join us? We can grab an extra plate." Alice finished for her brother. Alac shook himself out of his trance.

"Actually we have some business to attend to. I'd like you to meet my friend Micah." Alac gestured to the man behind him.

"Hello." Gart and Alice said together. "Nice to meet you." Alice added. 

"Hello, its lovely to finally meet you." He greeted them with a Swedish accent. Micah wore a brown coat and grey shirt that had some soot on it. His pants looked a little tight and he was a short but fit man.

"Please sit everyone." Alac instructed. Alice and Gart sat back down while Alac and Micah pulled out chairs for themselves. "I have enlisted Micah here to help you learn how to hold your own in a fight. Both with swords and your fists." 

"I'm sorry? I'll have to fight?" Alice asked.

"If you want to have any chance of staying alive and winning then yes." Alice wanted to protest more, girls weren't supposed to fight. Fighting was for men. But she could tell that Alac would hear none of her complaints so, she piped down. "When do we start?" Asked Gart, sitting on the edge of his chair and tipping it forward.

"Right away, Micah here is letting you use his cellar for training. You will leave with him right now well I sort some other things out. Make sure to wear your hoods."  In one flued-movement Alac got up, grabbed a piece of bacon and went upstairs. Micah turned to the twins.