lxv. selfish

Harry's POV

Standing in the Great Hall, listening to Dumbledore eulogize Cedric, while hearing the gasping sobs from the front row is probably one of the worst things I've ever experienced. I couldn't quite see through the people, but it didn't take much to guess that it was Cassie. Sure, there were tears from everywhere, I might have even cried a bit myself, but hearing her felt a thousand times worse.

Dumbledore spoke of all Cedric's accomplishments, making me realize just how much he had really done at Hogwarts. He was the Hufflepuff Seeker in Quidditch, the captain of the team as well. He was always a fair player, especially the one time I fell off my broom. He had been so insistent on a rematch, even though we never got one. It was the action that, at least, made a difference.

"I believe we owe it to Cedric for me to tell you how he died," Dumbledore spoke clearly, and I sucked in a breath. I knew where this was going and I could only imagine it would end in chaos. "Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

Gasps were ringing out through the hall and I saw someone pushing through a row in front of me. They reached the aisle and ran out as quickly as they could. It took me a moment to realize it was Cassie, head down but I could still see how pale her face was. She looked miserable—and I said that with as much love as I could. I felt absolutely terrible for her. It was my fault Cedric had died anyway, wasn't it? I was the one who did this to her, it was no wonder she refused to talk to me whenever Ron and I stopped by in her room.

I made to go after her but thought better of it. I certainly wasn't the face that she wanted to see. The service carried on, though I couldn't say I listened. Instead, my head swirled with guilt and questions of how I could have changed things.

Eventually, it ended, which I wouldn't have noticed if Ron hadn't practically pulled me out of the room. We started back towards the Gryffindor common rooms, supposed to pack up our stuff as summer was nearing. I was a bit torn as to how I felt going back to the Dursleys this year. On one hand, I hated to leave my friends, especially Cassie in the state of things, but I also think getting away from Hogwarts wouldn't be the worst. Now every inch of the castle was just reminders of Cedric, and I couldn't deal with that for much longer.

I was pulled from my thoughts by green robes pulling me aside down a hallway, not by anyone I would have expected.

"Have you seen Cassie? I need to talk to her and I can't find her anywhere." I fought an eye roll at Malfoy, before realizing how serious he was. It wasn't often I saw him act like this and in all honesty, it scared me a little.

"No, not since she ran out. Maybe she's back at the Gryffindor common room? Or Hufflepuff?" I suggested but he shook his head.

"She isn't in either, I had a portrait look. I'm worried, when we were younger whenever she was sad she went kinda dark." I didn't think to ask how he knew her when they were younger, rather focusing on the content of the statement. This didn't sound good. "With this, I can only imagine... I didn't check... Merlin, would she really... dammit."

I didn't like the look that crossed his face as he turned and started running in the other direction. I went to catch up with him, hurriedly asking where we were going.

"I didn't think to look at the Astronomy Tower. I don't want to think she would... but, it's pretty high up." I realized what he was implying and started running faster.

Cassie's POV

I felt horrible leaving the funeral. Emotionally, mentally, physically—I couldn't do it any longer.

The green-eyed people had been staring at me. I realized with a sick feeling in my stomach that my eye was now the same shade as theirs. Unfortunately, that probably wasn't a coincidence but I didn't have time to figure it out now. There was one figure that I couldn't stop watching.