xxiii. easier

Harry's POV

The halls were deadly quiet as I walked back to the common room. I wondered how I was supposed to tell my friends that I had to compete, especially Cassie. I saw how she acted when Cedric merely put his name in, but now for three friends to be competing.

But when I got there she wasn't with Hermione and Ron. Hermione had rushed over, wrapping me in a hug and stressing over the impending competition. Ron wouldn't talk to me. Hermione said something about him being positive that I had found a way to put my name in the Goblet of Fire and didn't tell anyone.

I was glad to have my friends, or at least one of them, but something felt missing without Cassie there. Hermione had told me that she went down to the kitchens, thankfully as she hadn't eaten anything earlier. Nevertheless, it was like a strange emptiness, our trio having turned to a quartet very quickly.

After a few minutes, Hermione retired to her room, Ron having already left. I decided to wait a few moments. Whether just for the peace that the silent room brought or hoping Cassie would come running in I wasn't sure.

Yet one of those was fulfilled as footsteps quietly echoed behind me. Her eyes met mine nearly immediately and she ran around the couch throwing herself at me.

"My God, I just talked to Cedric. I cannot believe they're making you compete, it's completely unjust. They make a rule and then refuse to uphold it—and there's no consent! Consent is a very important thing—"

"Cassie, relax," I laughed, pulling away from the hug. "Everything will be fine."

She bit her lip looking at me thoughtfully. "Aren't I the one who's supposed to be saying that?"

"Who says one has to comfort the other? We can easily comfort each other." She smiled at that, leaning her head onto my shoulder. I had noticed over the past few weeks she seemed to grow much more comfortable around people, less flinching and talking more. I had come to realize how little I really knew about her, and how bubbly her personality was when she wasn't fearful of everything.

"I'm scared, Harry," she whispered. I looked down at her to see tears were slowly trailing across her cheeks, not caring that they were soaking into my shirt.

"I know." I put my arm around her, pulling her a little closer. I noticed just how frail she was and vowed to get her to eat more at meals. "We all are. But whether we acknowledge it or not, the world still spins. Another day comes, and time doesn't stop. So, we'll endure."

It was so quiet I nearly didn't hear it, but her next words made my blood go cold. "What if I don't want to endure it anymore?"

I shifted so that her head fell off my shoulder and I could look her directly in the eye. "Cassandra Everett, what the hell are you saying?"

"Wouldn't it be easier?" She stared down at her hands, not meeting my gaze.

"Cassie, you see how many people care for you, don't you?" I tried to lower the tone of my voice, knowing anger would not help this situation. She nodded slowly. "You're so scared to lose them, just one of them, yet you'd be willing to lose all of them?"

She was silent for a long time, but I decided I didn't want to break the quiet. She could talk if she wanted to, but I could tell there was a lot going through her mind and didn't want to interrupt.

"No. I can't lose you," she said determinedly. "Not if I can help it."

I smiled gently, readjusting so she could lean on me again. I rested my chin on top of her head, inhaling deeply. Her hair smelled intoxicatingly of roses.

We stayed there for a while, not talking. I opened my mouth to suggest we go up to our dorms when I noticed that her breathing had slowed down. She must have fallen asleep already.

I dared not moving, worried I would wake her. Thoughts of Voldemort, the Triwizard Tournament, everything—they all went away. All I could think about was the girl so peacefully curled up against me.

Then another thought entered my mind, that this was the first time she had reached out. I didn't have to ask what was wrong or wait for an outburst or panic attack. She had come to me completely on her own.

An overwhelming sense of pride filled me as I fell asleep, my head on top of hers, my arm encircled tightly around her.

Neither of us had any nightmares that night.