ix. always

Cassie's POV

I sat on the ground of the Weasley's tent with my mouth hanging open. There was so much more about our world that I didn't even know, and quite frankly it was scary. While I had been hidden inside a house all day there were people out there dying. Suddenly, my life didn't seem so unfortunate, at least I still had it.

"And this is the scar," Harry said, pushing away a lock of hair to reveal a lightning bolt-shaped mark across his forehead.

Everyone was looking at me, including Ron's other siblings who had already been in the tent. I think there were more than I remember from this morning... my Merlin it's like they were multiplying. Each seemed to be gauging my thoughts but only one ran through my mind.

Why didn't the Diggorys tell me any of this?

The tent flap flew open and three men walked in, two seeming significantly more frantic than the other. My anger for being kept in the dark evaporated the moment I saw Cedric, completely gone by the time he had run over to hug me.

"Cass," he exhaled with relief, tightening his grasp as if making sure I was real. "You have no idea how worried I was."

We pulled back and I opened my mouth to respond but no words could come out. I settled for smiling widely.

His attention turned to the trio standing awkwardly next to us. "Thank you. If you didn't find her, I don't know..." he trailed off looking back at me.

They responded but I didn't hear it. I was focused on Cedric's words. The way he spoke made it seem like he thought I was helpless and couldn't take care of myself. I knew it probably didn't mean much but it lingered in my head much longer than I would have liked.

We said our goodbyes and walked back to our tent. The whole time I debated asking more about Voldemort but ultimately decided against it. If they weren't going to say anything. I wouldn't either. I wanted to see how long they were planning to keep me in the dark.

Once we had reached the tent Mr. Diggory sent us off to bed. I took one room; he took the other and Cedric was left to the living room couch. With his height, it didn't look very comfortable, but he refused each time I offered to switch.

I laid in bed staring up at the ceiling for a long time. Something felt so off, and sleep wasn't coming very easily. I glanced over at the clock, surprised to see that I had been tossing and turning for the past two hours. Unsure of what else to do, I decided to go out to the kitchen and get a glass of water.

As I left the room, I noticed that Cedric was still awake as well. He turned at the sound of my footsteps.

"Cassie? What are you doing up?"

"Can't sleep," I murmured, going to sit next to him on the couch. I remembered earlier that day lying across his lap on the same couch and how peaceful it felt. Now things were anything but. "Would you mind—I just—maybe it—" I stumbled over the words realizing how awkward it felt to ask such a simple question.

"Do you want me to sleep with you?" he asked, apparently understanding my chaotic rambling. I nodded somewhat sheepishly.

He didn't say anything but started leading the way back to where I had come from. Getting into bed, I rested my head gently against his shoulder and he brought an arm around me. I felt myself automatically relax, feeling much safer with Cedric around.

"Thank you," I whispered, nearly asleep already.

"Of course. I'm always here for you, Cass. Always." And with that, I fell into a deep, dreamless slumber.