xxxviii. moral

Cassie's POV

Hermione and I had spent most of the evening curled up on the couch reading. She had found some book from the library on the history of Hogwarts, telling me that she had already read it multiple times. Personally, I couldn't stand nonfiction books. When I read, it was an escape so why would I want to learn more about things that happened in the real world.

She had given me one of her own books that she brought to Hogwarts, a Muggle classic she had said. As I closed the cover I looked at her in bewilderment.

"So they all just died?" I asked, holding up the book in question.

"Well, yes, but that shows how strong a connection they had. One could not live without the other."

"There was no connection! They knew each other for only a few days!" I exclaimed, waving my hands frustratedly in the air. "The story was utterly pointless."

"You know, in the Muggle world Romeo and Juliet is seen as the ultimate love story," Hermione smiled, amused at my reaction.

"I can't imagine how. Romeo is who knows how old—but definitely a pedophile—while Juliet was wasn't even 14!"

"Perhaps, but you have to look at the moral of the story."

"I would gladly. Except there is none!"

"Every story has a moral. This tells you not to hold on to past prejudices and not to let emotions dictate your life."

"Maybe so, but the way I see it he should have just cried over her until the sleeping potion wore off. Moral of the story, cry before making big decisions!"

She sighed, clearly seeing I was correct but not wanting to admit it. Luckily, I was saved from any more debate by Harry and Ron sitting down around us.

"I had the most brilliant idea," Ron declared, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees.

"Have you now?" Hermione rolled her eyes skeptically, shooting me a look. This was going to be good.

"Harry and I have been struggling to find dates, so the four of us should just couple up!"

Hermione began to respond, obviously pissed off, but I discreetly put a hand out to stop her. "I'm not quite sure I understand, could you elaborate?" I asked with false confusion.

"I thought Hermione and I could go together, and then you and Harry." Ron smiled enthusiastically.

"Oh, okay. You seem to have overlooked something in your plan, though." He looked surprised that I could possibly find any flaw within his proposal. "Hermione and I have already been asked to the ball. And we said yes."

Both boys stared in disbelief as Hermione and I gathered our things to leave.

"Wait, but who are you going with?"

"That is none of your business. Next time maybe you can just ask us before it's too late," Hermione snapped before walking up the stairs.

"And not as a second choice," I added. I looked over at Harry, realizing how quiet he had been through this whole conversation. "Are you even going to say anything?" I huffed, half wishing he would, but also not sure how I would answer if he did.

He opened his mouth and closed it a few times before ultimately giving up. I nodded harshly, glaring at each of them before walking out of the common room. There was still a few hours before curfew and I didn't think I wanted to sit in the tension stirring through the dorms.

Harry's POV

I didn't know why, but hearing that Cassie and Hermione already had dates felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. For Hermione, I think it was mostly the fact that we were best friends, yet she hadn't told me or Ron. And of course, the curiosity as to who it was.

But Cassie... I was even more lost. I couldn't understand it, but the idea of her going with someone bothered me even more than Hermione. I knew she had been getting asked by a few people over the past few days, but I hadn't expected her to say yes to anyone. 

That begged the question, who was it? It had to be someone she felt comfortable enough around—she obviously wouldn't agree to go with just anybody. There was Neville, but I heard that he was going with Ginny. Cedric and his friends all had dates. I couldn't think of any other guys in the school that she had ever spoken to.

A thought crossed my mind, remembering how Krum had asked to talk to her after Herbology. I had watched their conversation and she seemed to get really excited. But she hardly knew him, the only time I had seen them together was for a few minutes in the Champions Tent at the first task. I refused to believe it.

"I reckon neither of them have dates, but don't want to admit it," Ron laughed, leaning back in his chair. I matched his action, but deep down we both knew that was wrong. Neither of them were the type to fake a date for attention.

The nagging in my mind refused to go away, the need to know who she was going with as persistent as ever for the rest of the night. I loved Cassie like a sister, and told myself it was just the protective brother in me making sure she was going to be okay. That was all it was.

Right?