xlvi. air

Harry's POV

The next morning Ron, Hermione, and Cassie were nowhere to be found. I had searched through the castle, asking some of the other girls if they were still in their dorms—nothing. There wasn't much time before the Second Task and I couldn't waste any more of the morning looking for them. As much as it hurt, I had to go alone.

Heading out to the Black Lake, I saw crowds already gathering on floating platforms. I scanned over the boats and bleachers, still hoping I would see them somewhere. The thought of having to go through with this without them was daunting but it seemed I had no choice. No Hermione fussing over me at the last minute, or Ron telling her to relax and breaking the tension with a joke. Cassie wasn't there to try comforting me while also comforting herself.

"Have you seen her at all today?" Cedric asked as I approached the other champions. He didn't even have to say her name for me to know what he was talking about.

I shook my head. "Not since last night."

"It's not like her, normally she'd be worrying all morning."

Fleur came to stand near us. "Have either of you seen Cassie? Or Gabrielle, for that matter, I can't find them anywhere."

"Cassie and Hermione went to McGonagall's office last night and then they disappeared. Ron's missing too."

"Wait a minute, I think—" Cedric began, a look of realization crossing his face. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to finish his thought as announcements drowned him out.

"Good morning, students! Today our champions must swim through the lake and retrieve something valuable that was taken from them. They will have one hour to do so."

"Harry!" I ignored the rest of the speech as a voice called from behind me. I turned, hoping it would be one of them but unfortunately it was only Neville. He pushed a leafy plant into my hand, and I sent him a confused look.

"It's Gillyweed. You can breathe underwater for an hour. Cassie asked me to give it to you," he explained.

In my panic this morning to find them, I had completely forgotten about needing to breathe underwater. Of course, Cass had pulled through, she wasn't the type to walk away before she finished something.

"Do I... eat it?" I asked, holding the strange plant up. It didn't look very appetizing.

"Yeah. The book said it tastes terrible, maybe just hold your nose."

Why was it plants and potions always had to taste bad? Was it against wizarding law to make something pleasant to consume?

"The competition shall start at the count of three. One... two..."

The cannon went off before the last number could be called. The other champions dived into the lake while I tried to swallow the Gillyweed. Neville was right, it truly was terrible.

I was struggling to get it down my throat when someone pushed me into the water. I couldn't feel the plant taking effect, trying hard not to breathe in. What if it didn't work?

After a moment, I felt sharp pains in my neck. I reached up to feel slits forming—gills. As I pulled my hand away I saw that my fingers had become webbed, as had my feet. I shot out of the water, doing a flip before diving back in. I could hear the crowd cheering, even from beneath the surface.

The Black Lake was true to its name, filled with dark murky water. I could hardly see what was a few feet in front of me. It was also quite large, making it rather difficult to find whatever "valuable thing had been taken."

I had no way of keeping track of the time, but I could tell I was running out of it. Not just for the task, but for the Gillyweed too. I didn't want to be down far when it wore off.

I came to a clearing, surrounded by a circle of seaweed and merfolk wielding tridents. I parted the blades to see in, finding four figures floating in the water.

Realization washed over me as I connected the dots as to why I hadn't seen any of my friends this morning, or Fleur her sister. The valuable thing taken from us was them.

I looked at each of them, mentally doing a process of elimination. Fleur was obviously supposed to retrieve her sister. Hermione was likely there for Krum, and I doubted Cedric was here for Ron. With a hesitant glance towards Cassie and Hermione, I swam down to where their feet were tethered by seaweed.

I started working through the knot around Ron's ankle when a gray shape came shooting towards me. I moved out of the way as quickly as possible. It went towards Hermione's chord and I recognized it as a shark, a transfigured one at that.

Krum began back to the surface with Hermione and I focused on Ron's seaweed. I got it untied and made sure he wouldn't float away before looking over at Cassie again.

I didn't doubt Cedric would get her, but seeing her rest there peacefully in the water was unnerving. I don't know what threw me off, but it didn't look natural.

I noticed the hem of her shirt fluttering in the water, revealing a slim line of bruising. I cringed slightly and tried to swim towards her. I was stopped by a trident pressed to my neck.

"Only one," a mermaid hissed. I raised my arms in defeat, seeing Cedric approaching from the corner of my eye. His head was surrounded by a cloud of air—the Bubble Head Charm.

He undid the seaweed around her ankle, sending me a thumbs up before pulling her up with him.

I was sure at this point there couldn't be much time left. Seeing Fleur's sister still floating, I decided I couldn't leave her. According to the merpeople's song, after an hour they would be gone, I couldn't let that happen just because Fleur didn't complete the task.

I pulled my wand out, pointing it at the merpeople that were positioned around the girl. I held up three fingers on my free hand, counting down. As I reached one the merfolk parted, allowing me to get to her binds.

I grabbed her around the waist and the neck of Ron's robes and pushed off from the rocks. It proved to be much more difficult when I couldn't use my hands. I kicked my feet harder, feeling a strange sensation between my toes.

I looked down to see that the webbing was fading. Water started infiltrating my lungs and it became harder and harder to keep pushing.

My vision was darkening but I kept kicking, knowing I had to break the surface sooner or later. Unless I ran out of air before I had the chance...