Chapter 19

"I'm expecting all of you to not create any commotion here, all the data you will get shall be handle with confidentiality," Sabi ni Dr. Gomez habang sinusundan namin siya sa kalapit na Hospital ng University.

"Isang patient per group lang, magsama-sama na yung mga magkakagrupo nang 'di magulo. Once you're done pwede na kayong umalis sa outpatient para 'di masyadong matao, and less exposure narin from the patients," Doc Gomez instructed.

Lumapit na saakin si Victoria, 'di nagtagal ay tinawag narin ni Victoria si Zia na busy pa makipag-usap sa mga kaibigan niya.

Nang makalapit si Zia ay nagsimula na kaming maghanap ng potential patient namin for our diagnosis. By the end of the month we have to report the diagnosis we would create out of this.

Lumapit na kami sa isa sa mga Doctor at nagpakilala bilang med students he looks young, resident ata.

Gaya nang sabi ni Doc Gomez pinaalalahanan kami sa confidentiality ng mga patients. Tumungo na kami sa gilid para makinig sa pasyenteng papasok sa silid.

I open my notes and jot down the essential details—a woman of 37 years old experiencing chest pain and shortness of breath for three days now.

"Pwedeng mahiram?" Tanong nung Doctor at tinuro yung penlight ko na nakasabit sa pocket ng white coat ko. I looked at the penlight, regalo pa naman 'to ni Claude. I hesitantly hand him my penlight.

The Doctor let us take the woman's vitals. Victoria came to the patient and put on the thermometer.

I looked at Zia, but she just remained standing there. She looked at me as if I should take the patient's vitals. I pursed my lips and started taking the other vitals of the patient.

Ang bilis ng tibok ng puso niya? I take her bp. it was 110/86. Normal yung systolic, pero prehypertension ang diastolic.

Napatingin ako sa leeg niya nang mapansin ang malaking ugat. If I'm not mistaken it's called Jugular Vein distention. Does her complaint has something to do with heart failure?

"Wala po ba kayong ibang medical histories or medication?" I asked.

"Or meron po ba kayong case ng cardiac enlargement?" I continued.

"That is not your job," Sagot nung Doctor. I immediately bowed my head and apologized.

"What an observant kid we have here," Boses mula sa likod ko. The next thing is the Doctor we have here standing up and greeting the person behind me.

"Good morning, Doctor Cabrera," He said, then bowed.

"Ang dami mo namang kasama," Pagpuna niya. I looked at him and bow my head as well. He looks around early to mid-40's.

"That woman is my patient. She has thoracic malignancy and cardiac enlargement. Recently lang, she was diagnosed with lymphoma and underwent radiotherapy. Other than that, she has no other history of surgery," Doctor Cabrera said.