||Useless dates|| Erwin X Reader

Requested by saniaarshad0

You knew Erwin was a busy man, so you never got mad. When you'd wait for him at the arcade he promised to come to, the weather would turn cold and the wind icy. He periodically sends texts about how sorry he was and how he couldn't make it- at the last minute.

And at night, he'd barely ever show up to sleep, maybe come inside for two hours and go back out.

Despite the amount of times he's missed your dates, you refused to stop. You missed him. You both barely spent any time together.

An entire three weeks passed and you realised it was getting out of hand. It was embarassing having to wait for someone you knew wouldn't show up.

Feeling like strangers eyes were glued onto you, you walked back home with shame dripping in dragged step you took. Your phone buzzed in your pocket and with an exited jolt in your chest, you snatched it out and clicked it open only to be met with a disappointing message.

Hubby💜

Hey dear, I'm going to be spending the night at my friends' house today. Sleep well love💕

You sighed shakily and got in through your door. The moment you shut it behind you, you had collapsed on the floor and sobbed into your palms. Every effort you put in for every plan was wasted.

Was work more important than you? Is that how he felt?

Maybe he wasn't the man you were supposed to stay an eternity with. You loved him so dearly but he probably didn't have a thought about you on his day to day life.

The following morning you didn't bother creating a plan and telling him about it. Instead, you sat in your garden drinking a cup of tea and staring at the birds pecking at the bird feeder you and Erwin bought.

He suggested it and it sort of made you wonder, were you overreacting? He wasn't cold, he was just focused. Maybe you were the toxic one in the relationship, maybe it was him that needed a better partner.

You whimpered in your palm at the thought, setting your mug down with a firm grip on the handle.

Too busy focusing on your intoxicating thoughts, you didn't notice the glass door sliding open with Erwin wearing his usual button up shirt and trousers. "There you are." He smiled sweetly, as if he hadn't stood you up for the past three weeks, as if he didn't make you contemplate running away, as if you weren't going insane.

"Erwin..." You muttered as he took a seat next to you. "It's been quite cold these past days but it's quite sunny and bright now, don't you think dear?"

At last you had enough. "Don't dear me. Erwin." You grunted.

He seemed amused by your sudden hostility towards him. Where was his gentle and giggly lady gone? Did he do something to upset you?

"What's wrong, Y/n? We can work it out."

"It's not a we thing, Erwin, it's a you thing." You paused, nervous. "You've been standing me up every single day I try- I try so hard but all you do is work. Tell me, do inked papers have more meaning than my feelings?" You croaked, tears welling up in your eyes.

His expression straightened out and changed into a look of sympathy and fondness. "Come here." He patted his lap. Even with your anger, you didn't object. You slithered onto his thighs and hid yourself into the crook of his neck.

Your rage was mild, not in the sense that there wasn't enough of it but in the way that you couldn't throw your anger onto him. You loved him too much, if he asked you to walk around the entire world, you'd do just that. Embarassingly obedient.

"Now, Y/n, I'll admit. I've been an arse to you." You held back a laugh at his sudden insult. Perhaps he could feel you smile against his skin. "Work hasn't been well these past weeks but it's no excuse to hurt you the way I did." He pulled you further against him.

"From now on, I'll be taking you out." He kissed your head. "Would you like time to think about it?" You breathed him in and hummed as if to say no. "Let's just stay like this for a while."

"That's fine with me, dear."

In sincere truth, he did regret doing that to you. With you in his arms right now, he could tell how much he missed this. All the stress, work and fatigue he got from his job wasn't worth it.

Leaving you out in the rain and cancelling through text? He was another level of shitty to you.
But not anymore, he promised to himself that he'd not be so focused on pulling out weeds that he forgets to water his rare and beautiful flower.

Authors note:

Okay you guys💀 first of all, the draft got half deleted so I had to rewrite the ending and idk if I like but- I'm not very well when it comes to angst.

English isn't my first language but I do try, so I hope this was good.