Chapter XLI: It's Been Awhile

Falling in love, what was it like?

A daunting question, in which all responses from different individuals differed. After all, falling in love is different for everybody. It's not like a math question, where there's always a definite answer. Which is why when the young girl, named (Y/N) was asked as to how she fell in love with Gojo Satoru by his own mother- she was left speechless.

Unlike the young girl who had the freedom to choose who to love, the older woman didn't have as much freedom as she did. A marriage built upon the betterment of both parties, not out of love. Sure, eventually, the two grew to be able to deal with each other- but it still wasn't love; it could never be love.

The eighteen year old girl didn't know the response to give to the woman. She could only stare at the wooden floorboards, as she continue to kneel in front of the woman who took a sip of her Gyokuro Tea. She was faced to face with the woman whom gave birth to her lover, and the very same woman who never shed a single tear, as she watched her husband be lowered six feet under.

"Leave us Satoru

"Leave us Satoru."

That same girl, now older, stood by the sliding doors, alongside her would be her snowy haired lover. "Mother-.." The woman shot him a look, her darker blue eyes unwavering. Satoru pursed his lips together, as he reluctantly let go of his lover's hand. (Y/N) gave the older man a reassuring smile, as she watched him leave the room and the sliding doors closing behind him.  "Please sit, (Y/N)." The twenty-six year old trudged across the room slowly, "I'm sorry for not visiting sooner."

"We both know that Satoru never wanted to come back home, yet here he is- I have you to thank for that. So don't apologize for being unable to visit." Then there it was once again, the awkward silence that befell the two of them. It wasn't unbearable, just unpleasant, making an individual more self-conscious about their actions. The older woman was the first to initiate the conversation once more, "I'm guessing you heard from Satoru that I'm dying." A soft exhale could be heard across the kotatsu, which housed the warm tea kettle and teacups on each side of the table.