(Chapter 49) The Pillar and Problem of Proximity

Start from the beginning

"You first," Freya replied. Pecilia didn't bother responding with anything but a roll of her eyes.

And Lucy used the distraction to leave as she heard thunder and knew she had to be quick to the greenhouse. Pecilia sighed watching Lucy disappear through the cafeteria doors. "I wish I could."

                                                                                        ~~~~~

"You've only done it in the dark so far, but can you finally do it now?" Algernon asked in a low voice. Lucy listened on in silence but for the backdrop of rain dripping down the greenhouse's window panels.

"This time don't close your eyes," Algernon softly ordered.

Lucy filled her lungs with a cold breath of air. It was nerve-racking with Algernon hovering so near, but she had done it once, and she could do it again.

Algernon waited patiently as Lucy's hair started to slightly rise off her shoulder as she called upon the energy. When it was longer it was too weighed down to be lifted in the air, but now the ends subtly rose away when the magic accidentally expelled from more than just her hands.

The smallest amounts of dark energy swirled alive in Lucy's palms and flowed down the sides like black smog.

"Breathe," Algernon instructed, as he noticed Lucy's chest stop falling and rising.

He said it so faintly it sounded more like a breath out and Lucy matched his breathing until she had her own controlled pattern. She looked down at her success and then smiled triumphantly up at Algernon. As she did she lost her hold on the magic and it disappeared.

"Thank you," Lucy said as her eyes shining with confidence locked onto his.

That smile again, Algernon cursed in his mind, turning away before she could notice the effect it had over him.

"That still wasn't anything compared to what you'll need to be able to summon." He said with his voice coming out intentionally rougher to mask anything else he might be feeling. "You'll have to train much harder if you ever want to master it." He moved over to his plants to start on their care before he spent any more time stewing over Lucy's.

"Right," Lucy said, following his gardening with her eyes. It was quiet in the greenhouse. The plants absorbed any noise, as little as there ever was to create such a perfect oasis for Algernon. Lucy thought about how simple and pure the relationship existed between the black-haired boy and his plants. Algernon cared for them, and they helped curate this peace, even if he didn't see their gifts because they went about so silently returning the favor. "They look like they're doing well," She noted, helping herself over to Algernon's table packed with saplings.

"They are," Algernon said. Proud he had finally gotten the runt of the litter to start sprouting.

Lucy smiled at his subtle by obvious fondness for them and reached down to stroke the leaves of a budding plant next to the one Algernon was repotting. "You love them so much." She mindlessly spoke.

Algernon returned to her a puzzled sideways glance and Lucy flustered thinking she had said something strange. "I mean you just look at them with so much affection..." Lucy lost her words when she started to get lost in the severeness of Algernon's eyes. It wasn't something she had gotten used to yet, their lack of all color. Like it was all one pupil that only showed the scantest reflection of whatever light was around him but more often none at all.

Algernon looked to see the plant's stem straightening out. Lucy didn't know it but they fed off of emotions, and her touch was provoking its sudden growth. Instinctively, he pulled her hand away before she could spoil it anymore and ruin its precise diet.

"I don't know about affection," Algernon said as he checked the plant to see the leaves droop back down. "But I'm at least protective of what's mine." His eyesight trained back to Lucy to see her plump lips slightly parted, but it was her gray eyes gapping directly back at him that crept a blush up the back of his neck.

Algernon instantly let go of Lucy's hand and hurried away to another table. He silently scolded himself for touching her so casually, but he had acted on instinct, without thinking anything of it until her surprised face had reminded him that it wasn't a normal thing to just so casually touch someone. He had never done that to anyone before, never once, but something in him reacted so haphazardly whenever she was around. Now he worried if he had made her uncomfortable. And his anxiety ran with that thought causing his hair to curl at the nape of his neck, where it always did when his emotions turmoiled.

"I see," Lucy said, grabbing her wrist where the feelings of his hand still warmed her skin. It reminded her of the parish. Something that had never escaped her mind, but never seemed the time to bring up.

"Algernon?" Lucy called to his back. "Could I ask," She bit the inside of her cheeks, working up the courage to, "Why did you help me?"

"You asked me too." Algernon said with as even a tone he could manage.

"What about that time I didn't?" Lucy asked, stepping silently closer to him. "That was you, wasn't it? That time at the temple."

Algernon's jaw tightened.

"It didn't feel right to watch you get treated like that," He thought back to the many instances of abuse Lucy experienced. One of which he almost caused when the fear potion took control of his mind. "It doesn't feel right that anyone has to take on the consequences of someone else's demons." Those same people, who looked down at her, looked up to him but it was the other side to the same coin, and any second, they might think to flip it. It was best to not be looked at at all, but if she was going to insist on putting herself in their line of sight, she needed to learn how to defend herself against their attacks. Though he could only help her with the physical ones and sympathize with the many others.

"And the only way to stop them is by getting stronger," Algernon added, "So you better not let my teachings go to waste." He turned his menacing gaze onto her, which was usual enough to make any person cower though Lucy only smiled while quietly regarding him. The words meant more than just what he said, because didn't that mean he had been watching out for her more than she knew? She stared at Algernon with the same appreciation she thought his plants must also feel for him. "You're quite a bit softer than you let on."

"That's-" Algernon started to heatedly defend himself but Lucy had gotten closer to him as she spoke and he didn't notice how close she was until just now. He jerked away with the jolt to his heart her nearness caused.

"Algernon?" Lucy asked, wondering why he jumped back so suddenly.

"Lessons are over for today." He declared, rushing outside, barely getting on his coat before the rain poured down on him.

Lucy watched Algernon storm out and noticed his hair had curled a lot at the nape of his neck. She wondered if it was the humidity from the downpour.