Last

I tend to wear my tan uniform often, so that is exactly what I wore. My hands rubbed against the fabric, brushing off the dust and anything else residing on it. The footsteps sounded closer to my door. Soon, knocks rippled through the door.

"Coming." I blurted while adjusting the strap on my pants. Quickly, I walked towards the door, swinging it open to see Levi wearing a white dress shirt and a black suit. 

"Ready?" he asked with squinted eyes. Hanji stood beside him, wearing her tan uniform as well, but with a dressier jacket. I nodded, walking alongside them. 

***

Entering the castle made me think of when I first showed up in this building; stealing a precious rock from the king, sadly not ending the way I wanted. As the flashback quickly ended, I saw myself standing beside my two comrades. I gave no look of emotion to either of them. My face remained bare and dead. 

"I wish you the best." Hanji spoke, pushing the doors open to reveal a court room with many benches before a platform in the middle of the room. The king sat on top of the pedestal holding the placement of the judge. Just his stature was standing right beside the judge. A loud roar boomed throughout the room, hurting my ears as the insults ran in.

I took plenty of steps forward, noticing a few scouts in the benches to the left of the centered platform, then more citizens on the right. A deep breath was all I could muster. My eyes blinked once more before taking a good look at the judge.

Should I confess? Should I reject? Giving in would be like attempting suicide, and I know where that went. How long will I last before they cut my head upon the guillotine?

"Alright, that's enough!" the judge shouted, hammering the gavel against the block of wood. 

"Kill her!" some woman shouted from the right. I gave no attention to her, but kept my eyes forward.

"How dare you!" Eren shouted, making me glance over slightly. He was being held back by Levi, whispering something in Eren's ear. 

"Now, let's begin." The judge adjusted himself in his large armchair. "You, Nadette Tartal, I take it?"

"Yes, sir." I replied, clasping my hands behind my back in a form of at ease. 

"You have been charged for the crimes of purloining, assault to others, as well as the murder of your own father." The judge gazed upon my dead face, me finally realizing that the truth about his murder has been leaked. It angered me as much as it hurt to hear those words fall from this old man's mouth. "Do you have any objections? As in, are any of these untrue?" His question was more demanding sounding. 

I sighed, feeling time slowly pass by. "I do not, sir." He nodded to my answer. "Do you have any clue why Erwin Smith has taken you into the Survey Corps?" 

"He believed I was a great warrior, due to my past experiences of serving. He also saw me as his daughter, as I saw him as my father." My reply was as sincere and real as it could. My face remained still, but just hearing my voice was enough to hear my emotions. 

"Any objections in the audience?" He swung his gaze around the room.

"No. This is true as Hanji and I have witnessed Erwin speak of this." Levi boasted, keeping his body in front of Eren so he doesn't burst out again. My eyes shifted to see Levi standing in such a calm way, keeping my attitude calm.

"Is it true you are the one to have murdered Erwin Smith during battle?" My mouth dropped, eyes widened to the words. My vision began to blur as water welled in my eyes. My knees felt weak, but I wasn't ready to fall.