Chapter 18

JJ's POV

"Hey, I'm here," I looked up and smiled as Emily walked in. 

"Hey, you're coffee is on the counter," I told her. She smiled and quickly walked over to grab it.

"You're a lifesaver," she said.

"Are you talking to me or the coffee?" She slowly looked at me.

"Do you want me to lie to you?" I opened my mouth but didn't say anything. "That's what I thought,"

"That's not very nice,"

"Please, since when have you ever known me to be nice?"

"Since forever. You're nice when you wanna be."

"And am I being nice now?"

"To me you are," 

"You're lucky you're cute," I smiled and walked back over to Henry. 

"Mommy, I'm done," He said.

"Okay, buddy, let's go get around. The babysitter will be here any minute to take you somewhere,"

"I get ready by myself!" He said with a smile on his face.

"Are you sure?" He nodded and ran to the room.

"Antonio is still watching him today?" I nodded.

"Yeah, I told him we were having a day off and he offered to take Henry for the day just so we could have some free time."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I told him it was fine but he insisted." 

"That was very nice of him though,"

Just then there was a knock at the door. I went to answer it and it was Antonio. He smiled at me and Emily walked over. he then smiled at her and I let him in.

"So, where's the little man?" He asked.

"He's getting ready. He said he wanted to get around all by himself." I told him. Just then Henry came running out and Antonio picked him up.

"Where are we going?"

"That is a surprise," Antonio said as they walked out the door. I just smiled and shut the door. 

"So, what are we gonna do?" I asked her. 

"Sleep?"

"I thought you said you wanted to start getting up earlier? Just to get used to it." I mocked.

"You son of a bitch,"

By the end of the day, we were cuddled on the couch watching whatever was on TV. I was already half-asleep. We didn't really do much. We went out for lunch, walked for a while, and then came back. The day felt short. Too short. Which sucked because we have to go back to work tomorrow. 

I opened my eyes and realized I was sitting on the couch alone. I heard somebody talking. I quickly recognized the voice as Emily's. As I was about to just let myself fall asleep until she said something. 

"He escaped?" She asked. I couldn't hear anybody else I figured she was on the phone. "Calm down? Don't tell me to calm down. -- Yes, I know Lauren Reynolds is dead, but if he is here..." she stopped. Who is she talking about? I sat up and looked at her.

"Emily?" She turned around and looked at me.

"I gotta go," she said and hung up. She walked over to me. "Hey, it's ten o'clock. Why are you up?"

"I could ask you the same thing," she smiled.

"I couldn't sleep,"

"Who is Lauren Reynolds?" I asked. She sighed and looked away. 

"She was an old friend,"

"Was?"

"She died in a car crash a few years back. It was before I even joined the team." I nodded.

"Is Henry back?"

"Yes, he got back a few hours ago. He's asleep. He was exhausted when he got back."

"Did he at least eat dinner?"

"Yes, he did," she said and pushed me back on the couch so that I was laying down. "I made sure he ate."

"You can cook?" 

"You sound surprised,"

"A little," 

"Okay, well, you need to get some sleep. We got to go in tomorrow." I sighed.

"I don't want to,"

"I know, but we have to. Now close your eyes and get to sleep."

When we got back to the Bureau the only thing we all did was paperwork. I was hoping that we wouldn't have a case today. I just wanted a little bit of a break.  About halfway through the day, Emily came into my office. I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Do we have a case?" I asked.

"No. No, we don't have a case," she said s she shut the door. 

"Thank God!" She smiled.

"Yeah, I just came in here because I was bored. Also, Morgan won't shut up about his 'battle scars'." I laughed.

"Yeah, that's not a conversation I would want to listen to either," she sat on the couch on the other side of the room. I got up and I sat next to her. I laid my head on her shoulder. 

"I wanna go home,"

"Yeah, but we chose this job for a reason,"

"To save people, I know. But sometimes I question if it's all worth it,"

"What do you mean?"

"It just feels like every time we catch one bad guy three more pop up. It's never gonna end. And even if we do save people that's trauma that will stick with them for the rest of their life. The pain will never end for them." 

"Oh, Em," I could hear how frustrated and upset this made her. "It's hard I know. I've only been here for a few months and sometimes it's been hard me to handle as well."

"Well, I can handle it fine. It's just the fact we're helping people but how much are we helping?"

"Become a therapist and you'll figure it out," she smiled.

"Shut up! This is supposed to be a serious conversation."

"Right, sorry."

"You're fine," she said and looked at me. "You know, I'd never thought I'd be with you. I always figure you'd have a happy life with Will and Henry. You'd have a couple more kids. You'd be this nice happy family."

"That was until Will kidnapped you, almost kill you, and started beating me again."

"Right," she said. "But other than that. I thought you were gonna have a happy life someone else."

"But I'm now I'm living my best life with you," she smiled and kissed me. I kissed back but pulled away after only a few seconds.

"What's the matter?" I sighed.

"Em, I gotta tell you something,"

"What is it?"

"I'm pregnant,"